Which Type of Window Should I install for Window Replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Bernard

Which Type of Window Should I install for Window Replacement

#1 Post by Bernard »

I've been in the process securing bids for replacing windows in my home in Houston. I looking at installing single hung double pane low e windows and possibly using impact glass for the first floor for security reasons. What is the useable life and the advantages of aluminum over vinyl? Is it worth it to pay the extra cost for aluminum? My existing single pane windows are aluminum and approx 15 years and still look pretty good. They have a white paint coating on them which has held up well. I know that aluminum has a high thermal conductivity compared to vinyl' but it is much stronger. Also, should I consider fiberglass over vinyl? Forgive me if my questions have already been asked bu't I haven't found the answers yet.

Randy

Re: Which Type of Window Should I install for Window Replacement

#2 Post by Randy »

You should definitely consider thermally-broken aluminum as an option. It's incredibly strong and durable, will never bow or warp in the summer heat, and provides more glass space with narrower frames. What you have noted is correct; after 15 years, your builder grade aluminum windows are still in pretty good shape, though they're very inefficient. I can promise you that builder grade vinyl windows wouldn't have held up as well.

If you're going to go with vinyl, make sure it is heavily reinforced with aluminum or fiberglass inserts.

Fiberglass may be worth considering, but it comes with a higher price tag.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Bernard, when you come to the point of searching for a contractor, you'd be well served to contact Randy. Straight shooter, carries the best products for your climate, and the highest level of quality and integrity.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on both accounts.

Randy is not a resource for Houston, he is "the" resource for Houston. You will not find a more educated and competent contractor in Texas.

Bernard

#5 Post by Bernard »

Appreciate the comments and all the help. Which thermally-broken aluminum windows have the best ratings and are the best bang for your buck? I would like to know the top 5 window manufacturers for replacement windows for the Houston area considering this tough "close to the coast" environment and the high temperatures we experience in the summer.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum window is the best performer, and the best bang for the buck. NT makes one, but it's higher priced and not as attractive. Ram Industries offers some nice looking windows, but they tend to be very expensive in my experience. Milgard is available as well, but I know nothing about their tba windows.

I would say that Sunrise, Don Young, NT, and Simonton would be my top four picks, and the Simonton only with the optional sash reinforcement. While Sunrise is the highest performance window of the four, their pricing on overly large windows and architectural shapes put them out of reach sometimes. Don Young and NT both offer additional aluminum reinforcement as an optional upgrade, making them quite strong.

ryanbc

#7 Post by ryanbc »

I didn't see the need to create a new thread to ask a similar question, but I could use some help selecting windows. I'm thinking about using a company in Northern VA (I live in Arlington) called Quality Window & Door.

These are the brands they carry:
http://www.qualitywindowanddoorinc.com/ ... facturers/

any suggestions from that list? I don't really recognize many of the names except Hurd, Simonton, and Weather Shield. Are the other brands any good? I don't want to get sold on a bad window by a salesman that may have spiffs or quotas for specific window brands.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

ryan, I think it would actually be a good idea to start a new thread given that you are in a different location, etc.

On choices in your area, you are fortunate that one of the most highly respected and prolific contributors here actually serves your area. I'd highly recommend contacting Windows on Washington. Excellent company with the top product offerings. He has a "Get a Quote" button on his posts if you are interested.

One other note, you should probably remove that link in your post per the board rules. On occasion, some unscrupulous companies will post on here under the guise of being a consumer just so that they can include a link back to their own site.