Window Replacement Questions

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jumpin1c4

Window Replacement Questions

#1 Post by jumpin1c4 »

Hi, I am looking to replace all of the windows and back door in my house. It’s about 30 windows in total. My house is 15 years old and the windows seem to not have been installed correctly. I recently discovered that there is a fair amount of rot in some of the window sills. Some are very bad while others seem fine. I have talked to a couple of companies and gotten quotes. I am hearing a wide variety in their recommended solutions in regard to product and installation methods. Some are recommending a full tear out and others say replacement windows would be just fine. Here are the details from the two bids that I liked so far:

Company A: Recommends Himark 800 series replacement windows. They feel that they can easily fix/replace any of the rotten wood without resorting to a full tear out. My concern is that the sales person seemed to gloss over the possible amount of rotted wood that might need to be replaced. My worst fear is I commit to a company and then find out later that their recommendation will not work and now I am stuck with whatever upcharge is required to do it right. I do not believe that the sales person is in anyway being deceitful but I am still concerned nonetheless.

Company B: Recommend a full tear out with installation of Marvin Integrity Ultrex/Wood windows. They feel that the rot damage is significant enough to require the full tear out on all windows. They also feel they should cut back the stucco around the windows on the side and back of my house and so they can do a complete new installation with the nailing fin. The back and sides of my house are the worst areas and the front is not so bad. The front also has stucco framing around the windows which would be disturbed if they had to cut the stucco back and it would require expensive stucco rework. Hence the cutting the stucco in the back and sides but not the front. Can a full tear out be done correctly without cutting the stucco back and using a nailing fin? Company A says that this method is risky and do not recommend it. Company B was willing to do it on the front of our house, however. The bid from company B was 37% higher than Company A’s bid. This is going to be a significant dollar project for us no matter what. I just want the peace of mind that I chose the right direction. I don’t want to put replacement windows in over rotted areas and I don’t want to pay extra for full frame replacement if it is not needed. I live in the in the western suburbs of Philadelphia just a few miles north of Delaware. Any suggestions or guidance is most welcome!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Window Replacement Questions

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Chris,
The 800DX or 500DX by HiMark are your best choices for product.

The install method will be determined by you, the actual conditions, and the budget. If the rot is as extensive as you indicate it may be best to do the full tear full frame.
If the wood repair can be done then the insert will work and be the cheapest.

theWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can you post up some pictures?

We will give you some feedback at that point with the comparison between the full tear out vs. insert option.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with both recommendations above, in that it depends on how bad it is. If it is only brickmold and sill nose (typical), there is no need for full replacement (unless you want to do so for other reasons). If you have bad areas in the buck frame itself, then it will depend on how extensive and on how many windows.
On product, as Anthony mentioned, the Himark/Okna will be superior in every measureable area. The reason to choose the Integrity is if you are willing to trade off performance, warranty, and $$$ savings for appearance of a real wood interior... That choice is up to you and your own goals and expectations.

uncle eddie

#5 Post by uncle eddie »

I've not been impressed with the integrity. You are comparing apples and pumpkins here.