Metal Industries Windows ( cutting edge )

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Ricknez

Metal Industries Windows ( cutting edge )

#1 Post by Ricknez »

Am looking to replace 18 double hung windows. Got a quote for metal industries, also known as MI Windows. It was the Cutting Edge 1600 series. I was quoted about 390 per window which seems cheap. However, after doing some research the reviews have not been good. They range from not honoring warranty issues to the windows leaking air and not being very reliable. Ay feed back would be appreciated.
The windows did look somewhat cheaply made by i am no expert. I only want to replace my windows once and not have to do it again in 5 years.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Metal Industries Windows ( cutting edge )

#2 Post by masterext »

You are not going to find an installed window for 390 that is anything close to quality. you are 100% correct though, Metal Industries ( MI windows) make lower quality windows.
Why? The actual vinyl they use is a lower grade, the window is not designed air tight at all, leaks air, the window can warp, and as you mentioned, it looks cheap.
Other brands that are Lower quality/ builders grade would be Silverline/ American Craftsman, Pella vinyl windows, and excalibur. I would never put any of those in a customers home.
I am mentioning these other brands because you stated that you only wanted to do your windows once.

Higher end vinyl windows which not only look nice but are engineered and designed very well are as follows : Okna, Soft Lite, Sunrise, Gorell, and Vytex. These windows also have energy efficiency numbers that are much better than expensive wood windows and that is a reason why those that used to have an aversion to anything vinyl now embraces the higher end brands with open arms.

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

Ok, thanks for the input. This is very interesting, my co worker who i have been talking with about windows had the Okna 500 insultec windows installed in his home over 2 years ago and said they perform just as good today as they did 2 years ago. He mentioned how good the okna was but i never heard of the brand before, now i see you guys recommend them and the reviews seem stellar. I have contacted the window company he used and will meet with them late tomorrow afternoon. He was very happy with his installation and said the window crew did a super job. I will wait before i contact the other brands you recommended.
Thanks

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Okna would certainly in my top three.

Let us know how your meeting goes.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Okna would be a great choice, along with some of the others mentioned above. Certainly on another level from the window originally asked about.

sallysmith

#6 Post by sallysmith »

What about Ideal windows. I am in a similar situation and the energy numbers look pretty good but I cant find much out about the quality or company online. I am close to Scranton Pa in the Poconos so I was interested in the triple glass. They have a few different lines. Confusing for the newbie:) Help!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

I know the Ideal product very well and it is NOT a higher end window at all. I listed about 5 brands that virtually every pro continually recommends.
Okna, Soft Lite, Gorell, Sunrise, and Vytex. Affinity make a pretty solid window as well; at least the Elite series.

sallysmith

#8 Post by sallysmith »

Ultra Tite is the one I was quoted on. I'm at work but I want to say it was about $550 or so a window for the R5 window. THanks!

Ricknez

#9 Post by Ricknez »

I just signed a contract for 18 Okna 500 series double hungs for $9,300 . All windows are replacement windows with white inside and white outside, double pane glass. I really liked the window, seemed very strong , and the contractor was very nice . Plus he did do a co workers home as i mentioned yesterday.
He did show me the Okna 800 as well but that was more money, although it was a very sharp looking window with some nice features. We settled on the 500 which i know i will be happy with.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like a recipe for success. Great window.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Great window, great deal. Congrats. :D