Please help with Replacement costs.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
sammia

Please help with Replacement costs.

#1 Post by sammia »

Hi All, Looking at replacing some if not all the windows at my home north of Chicago.So far I've had 3 quotes, those being Pella Proline $16,000, Kolbe @$22,000 and Marvin Infinity @$26,000. There are 22 windows in total in various sizes. I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact model of Kolbe but it's wood rapped on the exterior.I was expecting the Infinity price to fall somewhere between Pella and Kolbe but alas no. Why is this, I was under the impression that the Kolbe is a high end window.Can anyone please share their thoughts on these 3 products and the prices as they relate to each other. Thanks so much.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Please help with Replacement costs.

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not think you are looking at the same scope of work and the same specs on material.
Are all being bid as full tear/ full frame replacement?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Only one guy to talk to in Chicago. Dave, aka Window4U, is great and you can find him here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5267

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

I agree, Window4U is the go-to guy in the greater Chicago area. You won't find a better combination of quality products, professional installation and great service.

sammia

#5 Post by sammia »

anthony wrote:I do not think you are looking at the same scope of work and the same specs on material.
Are all being bid as full tear/ full frame replacement?
None of the quotes are for full frame replacement, they are all for infills. Both the Pella and the Kolbe are timber windows with aluminium exteriors so are comparable. I know the Infinity is fibreglass but what I'm trying to find out is how the prices relate to each other. By that I mean is the Kolbe worth 50% more than Pella and is Infinity worth 25% more than Kolbe or is something amiss. By the way there should be less interior finishing with the Infinity according to the Rep as they don't intefere with the existing trim where as both Pella and Kolbe have to replace the trim so that in itself should reduce the cost. Instead of which they are the most expensive.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are wrong.
The scope of work which you just described is vastly different.
Also the product for each scope of work is different.
In Pella you should be comparing the Impervia to the infinity.
Both the material and the scope of work would be closer to the same.

TheWindowNerd

sammia

#7 Post by sammia »

anthony wrote:You are wrong.
The scope of work which you just described is vastly different.
Also the product for each scope of work is different.
In Pella you should be comparing the Impervia to the infinity.
Both the material and the scope of work would be closer to the same.

TheWindowNerd
I'm sorry I don't get your point.The pella and Kolbe are both wood windows with aluminium cladding.I would've thought the fitting process of both would be the same so the "scope of work" would be comparable.I get it that the Infinity is fibreglass but it's also an infill so the fitting process is the same as wood in fact there's less work because the existing trim is kept intact. Why don't you reread my original question and answer the question if you want to be helpful.The" scope of work" according to the 3 reps who visited my house is exactly the same for each type of window.My question concerns the price of each window as they compare to each other.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Nothing Pella makes is in the same league as Marvin or Kolbe, in my opinion. Pella is better at marketing than manufacturing.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Sammia, Anthony is correct, that the scope of work must be different. The Pella Proline is ONLY available in a full frame (4 9/16 jamb or larger), so the scope of work on that install would be completely different from the Infinity inserts. Regarding pricing, the Infinity commands a much higher price because it is an "exclusive". It is not a bad window, in fact it is quite nice, but you are probably paying a premium for that reason. The Kolbe option is a nice product and the price sounds about right based on your description.