Great site!!! Question on replacement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
sc419795

Great site!!! Question on replacement windows

#1 Post by sc419795 »

First, I need to compliment all of those to contribute to this site. I have been surfing it a while and have used the search engine to try an evaluate replacement window options. There are some great experts here that go above and beyond to try and offer assistance and advise to the novice home owner.

I have a 20 year old house. We are the original owners and had the house built to a blueprint. We currently have Crestline double hung windows. Decent window for 20 years ago, but they are starting to get drafty and its time to look at new options. Our plan is to hold onto the house for another 4-6 years and sell - retire to a warmer climate. Need to start to do the big 3 - carpet, hvac and windows to get the house ready to sell. We live in the Chicago area so we do have cold/snow.

I have had 3 companies come into our home to measure and give estimates. 16 windows total. Most are relatively small (less than 22" wide, 53" long). I have 2 that are in the 25-26" wide range, 53" length. The quotes are as follows:

Champion - $15K
Liberty - $8.2K
Aeris 800 - $7.9K

We have already thrown Champion out. Very overpriced. We like both the Liberty and the Aeris. Seems to be well made, lowE glass with argon on both. Both have about the same features - nothing that I can say that I like one over the other. Lifetime transferable warranty on both which is good given we expect to be selling the house in the near future.

I did search this site on both windows. Found quite a number of posts on the Aeris 800, but did not find anything on the Liberty (made by Armaclad a division of Sound Solutions LLC). Does anyone have any information on Liberty windows - or opinions on these 2 options? Thank you guys for your insight.

HomeSealed

Re: Great site!!! Question on replacement windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Aeris is the better option there. Nothing impressive about the Liberty IMO.

If you search a little bit more on this site, you'll come across one of the longest running and most respected contributors on these forums: Window4U. He serves your area and is a tremendous resource. He offers a few of the top performing products as well. I'd strongly recommend contacting him via his Get a Quote button.

sc419795

#3 Post by sc419795 »

HomeSealed wrote:The Aeris is the better option there. Nothing impressive about the Liberty IMO.

If you search a little bit more on this site, you'll come across one of the longest running and most respected contributors on these forums: Window4U. He serves your area and is a tremendous resource. He offers a few of the top performing products as well. I'd strongly recommend contacting him via his Get a Quote button.
I did try to "get a quote" from Window4U. He handles the northern suburbs of Chicago. I am actually in NW Indiana - so I was routed to more local contractors.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

My office in Monee is very close to NW Indiana. Give me your zip and I'll include it into my area for the "Get a Quote" service.
Thanks,
Dave

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Takes one to know one, Dave is a seasoned dog, is that better than old dog.
Will help you find the right product and great installs.

theWindowNerd...

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Another one for Dave (aka Window4U) and the same feedback on HomeSealed assessment on the brands.

In either case, Dave will have something better than all of the above to show you.

njrob

#7 Post by njrob »

Good Day everyone,
I agree this is a very well put together board. I also have some questions about windows in the New jersey Area. I can do the work myself and have before, but only have used the silverline Home depot stuff in rental homes I own. We just bought a new house that we plan to be in for a long time so we want good mid-grade windows that fit our budget. First room to be done is the nursery for our daughter who is due in 3 weeks. I'd like to have the windows done by then.

Anyhow, I contacted one place and the gentleman at Windowrama and he was big on United for our application. I never heard of them and cannot find a lot of info on them. The andersons are quite pricey so im looking for suggestions to keep us ion the $150-200 range per window. Any recoomendations or vendors here in NJ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Rob,

Not sure you are going to find anything of quality at that number. We buy thousands of units each year and none approach that number in any way.

You are probably going to be stuck with the Silverlines and American Craftsmans at that number.

You need to figure on at least 2 weeks for product production in most cases too.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, I'm afraid that I have to agree. Being in NJ you should have access to some great brands that have "good,better, best" models like Sunrise, Okna, Himark, etc, however you won't be able to find anything of quality at that number.