Ply Gem versus Millguard

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Baronsmom

Ply Gem versus Millguard

#1 Post by Baronsmom »

I am building a home in Hawaii. The contractor has specified Ply Gem windows, which I have never heard of. He will give me Millguard if we want. Any opinions?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Ply Gem versus Millguard

#2 Post by masterext »

Plygem is more or less a contractor window, their highest end window is maybe ok but i suspect you will be happier and paying some more for Milgard.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Plygem does have some higher end offerings that can be nice. What model did they say it would be?

Gotta have more information on both proposed models.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Finding out which line it is will be key. Plygem has various offerings under the same name depending on region, and I have know idea which product would be going to Hawaii. I suspect it would be their "west" offering.

Baronsmom

#5 Post by Baronsmom »

The specs say Ply Gem Slim Line with nail on fins. The contractor indicated to us that he finds the specs on the two types to be nearly identical, but he feels the "operation and locking mechanism" on the Ply Gem is superior?

jeff1995

#6 Post by jeff1995 »

Slim line is the #400 series, contractors grade.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

The air infiltration rate on the plygem premium series( their so called high end) has a very high number of .19 .. Thats alot of air leakage, i can only imagine what the low end plygem would be.