12 foot sliding glass door

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MadScientist

12 foot sliding glass door

#1 Post by MadScientist »

I'm looking to replace a 22 year old sliding glass door that is rotting out. The door has 4 panes with the middle two opening outwards. There is no bar in the middle when the door is open, just a nice wide opening. I'm having trouble finding a replacement door that meets those criteria. So far the only non-wood door I've been quoted on that can do this is the Alside 6100. I'm waiting on a couple of other contractors (one that carries Simonton, another with Vinylmax).

Does anyone know of a well-regarded manufacturer that makes this type of door? I know Infinity and Okna don't have them. Otherwise is the Alside door ok, or am I going to have leakage and/or mechanical problems with it in short order?

Windows on Washington

Re: 12 foot sliding glass door

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What type of materiel do you want?

Andersen has some options like that.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

The door itself doesnt need to be 12 ft, i think you are talking about the opening?
If thats the case, you can have a 6 ft slider in the middle ( which is 2 panes) and then a 3 ft side lite/ transom on each side. okna most certainly does do that, i just ordered that same configuration.
As a side note, i would avoid alside, they are NOT known for quality. simonton and vinylmax are not what i would consider solid offerings.
Last edited by masterext on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

He is looking for a 4 panel 12' byparting door.
AW and Pella do it in their wood lines.
InLine Fiberglass does it in a stock size 140.5" x 79.75", they do special sizes also.
If you are willing to move from the byparting 4 panel design you will find more offerings and less cost with a 3 panel 12'.
You could then do a Himark or Sunrise vinyl door, both of which will do a great job for you.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure how it is that Alside makes that door but I think you are right to trust your gut on if that door will work well over the long term. The 6100 is not a bad door but even the best door from a company that happily makes the Excalibur should give you a second thought.

I think Andersen makes it as it shows in that link but be prepared to pay through the nose for it.

MadScientist

#6 Post by MadScientist »

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something vinyl or fiberglass for better efficiency and so I don't have to worry about rot. I hadn't thought too much about a 3 panel door since it is a 4 now, but that would be better than just a 6' door with 3' sides or having a post in the middle.

Masterext, what are the problems you see with Simonton and Vinylmax? I was under the impression that Simonton was sort of middle of the pack, solid but not great. I haven't been able to find much about Vinylmax.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

My problem with simonton is their lack of performance. Their Ufactor/ energy efficiency number is rather high and more disturbing( to me) is their high air leakage rate. I am also not fond of some of the design or lack of design aspects of simonton.
As far as Okna, they pay close attention to detail with regards to design/ engineering features and their low air leakage rate and superior energy efficiency are second to none in my opinion.
I also like the durability of their patio door and that should be something you consider seriously when searching for a patio door. Far too many window/ patio door companies ignore structural integrity and that can be very problematic,especially with a patio door.
I would much rather see you invest some more in quality, over the course of a few years, the extra investment will prove to be negligible.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Himark /Okna 3 panel door would be very tight for air leakage and is built like a tank. Best choice in a vinyl 3 panel.