OH.Fire/condo bldg.1973 complex/aluminum.confused w/choice

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
AnnsKlan

OH.Fire/condo bldg.1973 complex/aluminum.confused w/choice

#1 Post by AnnsKlan »

12 unit bldg..Fire/county code egress requires design change in front of bldg. One large slide window (76" approx) must change from three panes to two panes & small slide in other room has to now be a casement. In order to maintain architectural design, even though different design, think large window must change to a two pane slide. Hoping the small casement (32") approx won't be too obvious in the design. Having two casements in large window would be too different from the rest of complex of 52 units. We are an old complex but beautifully designed, sitting on two natural lakes.
Contractor suggested Simonton Vinyl & Vinyl Max .. the rub is color. Since original were aluminum, trim is painted to match color scheme...dark gray around windows throughout complex. The vinyl windows we looked at do not come in gray...and any color they have is only in premium window.
The Association has not ever selected windows for replacement thru out complex but owners must comply with design & must be painted to match. In researching this, now think we should have selected an approved window .. realizing they have had to paint their vinyl windows! Am I correct .. vinyl should not be painted. But what if that is only recourse? And I have barely gotten into quality!
Doing research(even more confused) because if reviewer loves a company there are 10 who hate the same company! Discovered that Anderson & Renewal by Anderson are entirely different & many do not like Renewal. A site that had excellent info was Milgard...I thought maybe this was it but then learned no suppliers in OH. What about aluminum? Seems like more glass..less frame and may be possible to have gray? Read they are often used for large windows. What are the negatives? And can't have a window that has too much frame...some do I've noticed.
Can anyone direct us to the best selection with our requirements. Is there any good window that can fill the bill? Add to all this, not sure what insurance will pay for! Only 6 of the units are required in the change...going to impress on insurance, architectural need to at least have ALL windows in front have same design change. Not sure how they will react to that as yet. That would mean a total of 12 windows...the rear style does not have design change due to two sliding doors providing egress.
Am hoping someone on this site can head us in the right direction! We are amateurs at this. Simonton salesman is checking to see if an exception can be made on color...and is checking with his supplier for aluminum. Have read about fiberglass...they can be painted...thoughts on that?

HomeSealed

Re: OH.Fire/condo bldg.1973 complex/aluminum.confused w/choice

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

My initial thought is that fiberglass would be a great choice if you need to paint the interior. If only the exterior needs to be gray, most premium vinyl units can offer that. Vinyl can be painted, but in most cases it will void the warranty if you do the painting. I would not recommend aluminum in your ohio climate.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on Fiberglass possibly be a good fit here.

There are standard, painted grey, windows out there in a hybrid material.

AnnsKlan

#4 Post by AnnsKlan »

HomeSealed wrote:My initial thought is that fiberglass would be a great choice if you need to paint the interior. If only the exterior needs to be gray, most premium vinyl units can offer that. Vinyl can be painted, but in most cases it will void the warranty if you do the painting. I would not recommend aluminum in your ohio climate.

Thank you for response! Can you explain what is involved when you paint and void the warranty. Can you site example. And does it void the entire warranty?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

The paints that are used on vinyl window, factory finished, have a photo/UV reflection built into them which keeps the heat out of the vinyl (especially in the darker colors).

If you paint a vinyl window (any color that absorbs some decent heat) you will very quickly have surface temperatures that are damaging and can compromise the structure of the window.

This warranty invalidation would extend to all aspects of the window so it is a non-starter.