New Construction Window Gaps Please HELP!!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kimg1215

New Construction Window Gaps Please HELP!!

#1 Post by kimg1215 »

So it has taken a couple weeks trying to figure out why my sons bedroom has been extremely cold at night (mind you it has been in the 30s and 20s) we thought initially that it was a ducting issue as we are having issues in our downstairs. Long story short I checked this morning in the room and could feel breezes around the window pulled the blinds and noticed these gaps. What I am wondering is how the window company will be fixing these because they are almost on every window in the whole house or if i should request they be completely replaced. Im not a window person whatsoever so any advice would be appreciated. This is a new construction home, and I'm afraid we have not had the best of luck with anything. The window thing is about setting me off the edge. I have pics but not sure how to post on this forum, if you could let me know how to do that it would be helpful too. Please let me know what I need to know before this window guy makes the trip so we are not taken advantage of :) Thanks in advance!!!

Windows on Washington

Re: New Construction Window Gaps Please HELP!!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Please post up any pictures you can snap that demonstrate the issue.

kimg1215

#3 Post by kimg1215 »

How do I post pics there is no attachment option available on here do you know how to?

kimg1215

#4 Post by kimg1215 »

http://s354.photobucket.com/user/kimg12 ... t=3&page=1

Here are three images of a double window in the front of the house that I can feel a lot of outside air from. How would they fix this or will the entire window need replaced? And any advice would help. I don't want the company doing a half aXX job on this and taking advantage cause Im not a window person haha .

Thank you!!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can you post up some picture that are a bit further back?

We need to see what the fitment and reveals on the windows are like.

I will add this from the outset...most new construction windows are installed poorly. Whether that entails being out of square, level, plumb, racked, or all of the above (usually it is a combo effort).

This lack of install quality will make what is an already leaky window even more leaky.

Unfortunately, there is little to no enforcement that you can leverage when it comes to air leaks. If you have and active water leak, you can pursue that action as a defect but you are hard pressed to prove and installation defect on the basis of air leakage.

kimg1215

#6 Post by kimg1215 »

Ok took some more for you just now

http://s354.photobucket.com/user/kimg12 ... t=3&page=1

so the gaps i can clearly see they are the whole way thru if there is ever rain against this front of the house it can easily (as it looks) come thru this gap even though they are small but visible. Do they just seal them with a putty material?

kimg1215

#7 Post by kimg1215 »

It also looks like the framing of the window was not long enough and doesn't even touch some of the ends of the window (where the gaps are present) and like you said done poorly what can i ask of the company to fix this?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

kmig, I have to say, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm not sure which gaps you are referring to, but I don't notice anything egregious. Looks like maybe the glazing bead was cut a little short and maybe some sloppy manufacturing, but other than that, looks like a typical builder grade single hung window. Based on the consistency that I see across the meeting rail, I don't see anything particularly wrong either. What you have is likely a product that barely meets minimum standards, along with an installation that barely meets minimum standards (probably just has some sparsely installed fiberglass insulation between the window and rough opening).
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but based on the limited information given, my thought is that you won't see a substantial improvement without replacing those windows with superior units (and installation procedures). If that is not going to be in the budget for a while, you can look interior storm windows or plastic window films as a band-aid.

Randy

#9 Post by Randy »

I agree with HomeSealed. This is most likely the typical scenario of a builder buying the cheapest vinyl window he can get, and having his framing crew install them. The lower grade windows are not designed to be overly airtight, and the installers don't usually take a lot of time to get them square, plumb and level, so they leak air.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Those windows are extremely cheap and that is the issue; you need new windows.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

I have to agree with every single point that the other Pro's pointed out. It would be unlikely, however possible, that some air might be air might be penetrating the exterior sash around the insulated glass unit through a bottom weep hole and entering the interior through those horrible interior glazing bead butt joints. You could try to simply apply a little white silicone or Dap Dynaflex 230 to the gaps and wipe off the excess with some mineral spirits.