Help With Replacement Windows in MA

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dimes

Help With Replacement Windows in MA

#1 Post by Dimes »

My home is 23 yrs old and the original Weather Shield windows are all but done - a sheet of plastic would provide better draft protection. I am looking at replacement windows.
I have had the guys from Rite Windows come and quote around $500 per window (most of mine are 32x59 or so) with 12 over 12 grids.
Then I had Home Deport come and pitch the Simonton windows at around $600 per.
Lastly I had the Renewal by Andersen guys come - they swore that their Fibrex made windows were far and away better than any vinyls I would look at and it did seem like they kept more glass. Their quote was $1500 per window after discounts.
I am having Lowes swing by this weekend.
My buddy had a home improvement company install Okna's new construction for about $1,000 per window, but I know Okna has the 500 and 800 series vinyls' as well that look good.

I have a pretty nice house(IMO) and the Renewal guy kept saying I don't want to cheap out on awful vinyl in a nice house like mine. But their price point just seems way out of wack. At the same time - I get what he is saying about having a low-priced product set against a relatively hi-end house.

A premium vinyl like Okna seems to be the way to go - but would love to hear the pro's and con's of some of the brands I mentioned - especially Simonton and Okna - and what other premium replacement options are out there.

Much Appreciated!

Dimes.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Help With Replacement Windows in MA

#2 Post by masterext »

Tell the guy from Renewal that you are quite confident that high end vinyl would add to your home but "cheap vinyl mixed with saw dust" could very well detract from it. He will know exactly what you are talking about, although he may play dumb and say his window is a proprietary material. Also mention you are leery of a window that has a high air infiltration number such as a .18 or .22 . Do NOT let him tell you air leakage rates are graded " pass or fail", an actual number is ALWAYS given. If they dont advertise that number, they are hiding it.
Okna make a very solid window and its very sharp lookng, especially the Okna 800 " EnviroStar". The air leakage number on that window is a .01 . They also use a non conductive ( non metL ) spacer system. Total window Ufactor of .26 with double pane glass.

Dimes

#3 Post by Dimes »

Thanks for the info Masterext!

What should I expect to pay for an Okna 800 Installed (assume 32x59 or so) - and what's the best way to figure out how to pick an installer?

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

The Renewal by Anderson windows is attractive, but it's ratings are below average. A high end vinyl window, like Okna, will serve you very well in MA. You'll save money on the front side and you'll save more money in lower utility bills.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pricing is really market, option, and application dependent.

I would recommend you get some quotes but I can tell you that is one of the top two vinyl window made today.

It will not be cheap and certainly not as compared to garbage vinyl windows but you will get a much, much, much better window than they RBA window you looked at.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to all of the above. The RBA is a nice looking window, but adding some sawdust in with the vinyl does nothing to improve the performance. All it does is create a unique sales pitch, which -= a higher price, justified or not.
I'd stay out of the box stores as well. Low pay to their installers = a revolving door of subs, mid grade products, and staff that generally are not the most knowledgeable.

The Okna product would be a great choice, and as WoW alluded to, pricing can be very difficult to nail down as it varies by dealer on that and all products. As you get into more reputable companies with showrooms, office staff, vehicles, sales people etc, the price is obviously going to be significantly higher than the guy that installs himself out of his garage and pickup truck... and then there is everyone in between.
I'd contact the manufacturer for references in your area, or simply google the product that you want and your city.

Dimes

#7 Post by Dimes »

Thanks Homesealed.

Left a message with Okna.

Now to cancel my Lowe's and Home Deport appointments :)

Okna talk about these R-5 windows on their website - do you think these include the 800 series?

Thanks again.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

All of their lines (including the 800) meet the r-5 with triple pane and argon. That is a very good rating for any window, most need krypton to hit that rating (.20 total unit u-factor).

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The 800DX is my favorite high performance vinyl window.
The triple pane with U.20 and an AI .01 is tough for anyone to beat on the performance side when you look at the object qualities.
Then there is the beauty of the unit, while slightly more subjective, it is true.
Great choice.

theWindowNerd...