Energy Ratings for Windows in 2015

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bgbrock

Energy Ratings for Windows in 2015

#1 Post by bgbrock »

I was informed that there is a change coming next year (2015) in terms of the U values for windows.

I am in the beginning process of obtaining quotes to replace some double hung windows (Chicago area) this spring, and was not certain if double glazed windows will meet the standards in 2015. Simply put, I don't want to replace the windows in 2014 with double glazed, and find out that the remaining windows need to be triple glazed to meet the new standards.

Could someone please advise?

Thank you.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Energy Ratings for Windows in 2015

#2 Post by masterext »

I know Okna / HiMark currently exceed the new 2015 standards with double pane glass.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I would contact Dave at Strong Windows. He is the expert in the Chicago area.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

+1 on contacting window4u regarding the new requirements. He not only carries the very best windows in the industry, he will make sure that they're installed with the best building practices regarding proper insulation and exterior capping.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with the pros above, Dave is the man to talk to in Chicago.

Regarding the question, the baseline for the Northern region is going to .27. As long as you get a good product, you should not have a problem hitting that with double pane. Just make sure that you don't get an inferior product with too heavy a dose of Low-e . It is not uncommon for dealers around here to sell 366 glass and the like to get a better u-value on a questionable product, but it pushes the shgc down too low (like .19-.20) which can actually hurt the overall efficiency. You'd like to see that a bit higher, like .25 + in double pane.

bgbrock

#6 Post by bgbrock »

Thanks guys for the quick response. I have obtained quotes for this job and have contacted Dave at Strong (Jan 17th) to come and submit a quote. I hope Dave is not late to the party, as I will probably be wrapping up the process and signing a contract over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Duh.. I got mixed up for a second. :oops: I'll email you in a second Brock. As you know, I was trying to set you up with another estimate call near you as you are looking to get a quote for just a couple windows and are a 4 hour round trip. I'll be up your way a couple times this week so we can set it up today.

bgbrock

#8 Post by bgbrock »

Thanks Dave for stopping by tonight. I can't wait to have my new Okna Himark triple glazed windows installed.