Breaking in a sliding glass door

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MadScientist

Breaking in a sliding glass door

#1 Post by MadScientist »

I just had a sliding glass door installed (8' Okna) and was told there is a breaking in period before it will open smoothly. I've not heard anything like this before on this site (or anywhere else). Right now the door, when open takes something like 80-100 lbs of force to get moving, and when it is fully shut, it feels like either I'm going to rip the door handle off, or my arm out of its socket before the thing opens.

Is this actually in the normal range for this door? If so, how long can I expect before I have a door that opens normally?

Windows on Washington

Re: Breaking in a sliding glass door

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

MadScientist,

That door is very heavy on the weatherstripping with the full capture aspect of the stile and rails on the sashes of the door.

The weatherstripping does relax a bit as the door breaks in.

The other trick is to spray a dry film silicone lubricant on the operable and glide pathways. This will help is slip a slide a bit easier.

The 8' door weighs a metric ton to start with so it is a beast right out of the gate.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Well said, i agree. The weatherstripping is heavy( a good thing) and will settle and be smother. Thats one air tight door.

MadScientist

#4 Post by MadScientist »

Thanks for the tip on the dry silicone lubricant. I wasn't sure what if anything was safe for use on vinyl. Any particular brand to look for or avoid, or are they all about the same.

I'm confident that this door will not let air in our out, but at the moment it doesn't really let people in or out. As it is I don't think there is any way my daughter can open it, and given the way my shoulder feels, I don't want my son opening it before baseball season.

I am surprised that in all the posts here and elsewhere I've never seen this issue mentioned.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I tell my customers that the 8' will require extra force to operate.
Yes it will break/wear in. The silicone spray will help, I sometimes spray it on a rag or paper towel to apply it, less mess.

theWindowNerd...

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Good old Pledge furniture wax also works well. Spray it on a rag and rub down all the weather seals, inside and out. Just be patient.