Newbie price check

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
lcseds

Newbie price check

#1 Post by lcseds »

Hello all. I have read many many posts here as I get ready to replace the original windows in my 1984 condo. The posts have been very valuable and I than you all.
Windows:
2 three wise casements 70"x70"
1 Single 23x70
1 side by side casement 39x34
4 double hung36x46

Due to condo restrictions, I need beige on the outside but I think white is best on the inside with the white painted trim.

Total 13 windows. Location: Raleigh, Durham, NC.

Home Depot-Simonton6100/6500 series ($7357)-All one color (making it two colors makes it very expensive),
Window World-$5K (I guess they would be all beige too)
Local company-good reputation-Preservation windows $8700 two tone
Local Company-Soft-Lite Imperial LS with super spacers $8100 (we'd love the built in blinds but that adds just over $3K!) Two tone (Barrington available to save a few bucks, but I don't have that quoted)
Lowes-Came out measured and never contacted us again. We left a voicemail with our numbers and email again. No return call or email.
Still waiting on company with Sunrise Windows to come.

That's about all I have around here that I can find. I have sort of ruled out Windows World and the Preservations (Alsides?). Probably Home Depot too as I am not warming up to an all beige window.

Should I stop now and just call in the Soft-Lite people?
Is the super spacer the only option I need be concerned with on the Imperial LS?

Thanks again. Wish some of you contributors here served my area.

HomeSealed

Re: Newbie price check

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

easy decison, the Imperial LS looks to be priced well and is the best performer of the bunch. As long as you feel good about the installation company, I'd say go for it

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

LS is the champ, by a mile, of that group.

lcseds

#4 Post by lcseds »

Glad to have this input.

I inked a deal for 13 Soft-Lite Imperial LS windows as listed above, with Super Spacers, white interior and tan painted exterior, and Bettervue screens (only those three options) for $7800. I guess that's about a mid range price.

Install has lifetime parts and labor by installer (in business 25 years). Expanding foam used. Happy to rid the house of the 30 year old windows.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Post back and let us know how it goes.

lcseds

#6 Post by lcseds »

I am in the process of having my Softlite Imperial LS windows installed. I don't see any info or serial number label on the inside window frame. Is there any way to verify these are The LS windows? It had a sticker on the windows that identified them as such but a few things are different than the Imperial LS they showed us in the showroom.
One, on the double hung, the demo screen could be slid up so the top can be opened vs the lower. On our new ones, the screens are fixed as there is an insert in the upper half of the slide track.
Also the casements in the showroom had levers to unlock the screen for removal. New ones has pins on the side and you sort of just pull the screens out and press them back in.
One last thing, how can I tell I got the super spacer vs the standard?
These may just be design changes but I want to make sure I am getting the real deal.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

It should say it on the NFRC label.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Modification happen, usually updates in product offerings.
I have not sold or installed an LS for about three years.
I am surprised that a half screen can not move up and down. Even if it did it will not seal out insects. A half screen in the up position has nothing for the bottom rail of the screen to seal against.
The casement screen is a definite update.

theWindowNerd....

lcseds

#9 Post by lcseds »

NFRC label indicates Imperial LS
.27 U-Factor
.28 Solar Heat Gain
.51 Visible Transmittance
59 Condensation rating

Are these correct for a window with the superspacer?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

There should be a designation on the product in the details on the window (i.e. a model number at least).

lcseds

#11 Post by lcseds »

There is a white line down the tag I did recover so something may be missing. Numbers if they mean anything...

SLL-A-29-00218-0000?
12467?5.040

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

29 is the Imperial LS

lcseds

#13 Post by lcseds »

Good enough then. Thanks.
Great windows. Amazing difference between these and the 30 year old construction grade windows!

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

The filler strip to keep the screen in place is due to the exterior color coating (assuming of course that is an option that you received). The other items are simply little upgrades that manufacturers do from time to time. To know if you have super spacer or not, it will either be metal or not. If not metal, the super spacer is the only other option that SL uses to my knowledge.

lcseds

#15 Post by lcseds »

Yes, the outside color was beige, interior is white.
Why did he use white tip nails for the finish strips outside? Lol. I'll find some touch up paint and take care of those. It is a single story. Otherwise a good installer. He was sent alone to do this job. No way he could do the triple casements. Ended up two days but he seemed to care about the install. Good enough considering.