patio door slider hits framing of stationary door.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
husker01

patio door slider hits framing of stationary door.

#1 Post by husker01 »

want to return my Pella patio door; too many issues not resolved.

Installer put in patio door 15 months ago. Many service calls later, a team of sub contrators and Window Co. person
arrive and start to square up and get the door plum.

A new slider for the patio door was ordered to put in same time as the frame work was adjusted to make door opening square.
The slider had issues with the frame work around the handle area causing severe squeak when pulling the handle.

Now, the door will not shut proper. The sliding part of the door, slides over the stationary door segment and
then hits. The door does not go shut very easy, as I stop, the door is very tight.

This is the second rolling door panel they have tried for this Pella Storm door, the first one was bowed.

Is there a possibility the rollers are not working right?

I have to push the door another nudge to be able to shut it
Then is is able to be locked Also, with a hard push.

Thanks

TheWindowNerd

Re: patio door slider hits framing of stationary door.

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

which Pella door do you have?
Vinyl what series?
Fiberglass?
Clad wood which series?

Did you use a Certified pella Installer?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Which model?

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

I know the Pella products like the back of my hand. I will bet it's the vinyl door! This is a very common issue with their door. I've fixed this issue more times than I'll admit. The entire unit has to be Plumb, Square and most importantly vertically leveled. The top of the unit is slanted away towards the outside. Most installers replace a patio unit by squaring the unit with a level base. They then measure inside from the frame to the drywall edge in all four corners for their jamb extensions. Most guys prefer to have a nice even jamb box to cut and apply.
The big mistake is trusting that the house is perfectly plumb and square. In my years you don't see this hardly ever. You have to level the door up and down, inside and out. The installer has to put a peel on the vertical frame members and the inside edge of the stationary panel. Otherwise the door says inward causing the interlocks to hit. The Pella vinyl and aluminum carry the issue. It's not a warped panel, trust me!!

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good evaluation Guy.

Some of the patio sliders out there are less sensitive to being perfectly plumb if their frames are substantial enough but the Pella vinyl roller seems to be supremely twistable on the units I have seen.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

That actually is a great evaluation from Guy. I see this a lot with new construction entry doors installed flush to the interior finish sheetrock on an wall that's out. Trust the level and hope the product was manufactured correctly and not warped somehow in storage or transport.

david l tibbs

#7 Post by david l tibbs »

This message is for guy, I have the same problem with my sliding glass door striking the stationary door jam. My door is also vinyl , I do not know what is a veridical peel. I do understand you claim the top of the door is leaning outward. So do I need to try and kick the door out at the bottom or by shimming it out.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the wall is out of plumb, you can plumb the door up my moving the bottom or the top to achieve plumb.