What to look for in a replacement window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kittsi

What to look for in a replacement window

#1 Post by kittsi »

I am looking at replacement windows for my home. So far we've had 3 estimates and have one more tomorrow. We've gotten estimates for Pella 250 series, Amerimax Grand Elite series and MGM Windows.

I'm trying to look up specs on each and it appears U factor and number of layers of Low E are the items to look for?

The MGM have a U value of .31 and 2 layers of Low E and are double layer glass, argon filled.

The Amerimax Elite Grand have a U value of .27 and 3 layers of Low E, double layer glass, krypton and argon filled.

I can't find much info on the Pella windows. I know they're fdouble pane and argon filled. I'm not sure on the U value or number of layers of Low E. I know they're a top seller in the Midwest though.

So, what do I need to look for? I don't need the best window in the world, but I don't want to get a crappy window either.

We are getting an estimate for Simonton windows tomorrow which I've heard are great. The MGM have come in with the cheapest so far, Pella highest with a price difference of about $7,000 between the 2 quotes for 24 windows.

bgbrock

Re: What to look for in a replacement window

#2 Post by bgbrock »

U value is one aspect when looking at thermal performance, the other you really want to consider is the Air Infiltration number (AI) - the lower the better.

Have you looked into the Sunrise Vanguard or Restorations, or the OKNA 500 or 800 Series of windows? I think you will be pleasantly surprised on the thermal values of these windows!

Oh...BTW....Pella has to be expensive - they have TONS of advertising and overhead that they need to fund :)

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Pella vinyl products are very disappointing in my opinion. They didn't go with a more well thought out sill design and I believe the 250 is still glazed with PPG Intercept which is becoming kind of dated at this point. Most of us here either liked or accepted the Simonton mid to upper end product lines up until about 5-8 years ago when Simonton let the industry really pass them by. Their 5500 is a very dated design which I believe now is from the early 90's without virtually any change and still features a bulky weeping irrigation sill which is fine for costal applications, but I don't want that anywhere else. I never see homeowners on contractors going with the Impressions line from Simonton and it's the only line that features the 3-point weatherstripping contact on the sashes.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to DM's feedback.

Where is the home located?

Of that grouping, the Amerimax is easily the most well regarded and a solid window by all accounts.

Pella vinyl is, in a word, unimpressive. Even the 350 is a great advancement with a huge Achilles heel.

kittsi

#5 Post by kittsi »

I live in Nebraska, so 4 seasons throughout the year.

border411

#6 Post by border411 »

I can not begin to tell you all the of horrible stories that my in-laws have gone through with Pella. They had a window pane break from being hit by a rock. The call up Pella. Rep comes out, orders new sash. Sash comes in, Pella rep has to install. Comes out to house, sash is wrong size (as in 12" smaller in both directions!). Rep orders another sash. New one comes in. Come to find out bottom sash, not the top sash. New one ordered again, and again rep comes out to install when received. Wrong color (beige, not white). Rep insists that they have beige windows somewhere on the house, as Pella pulled the serial number. My inlaws state that if he could find a beige window, they would give him a $100. Lets just say they didnt need to pay. New sash (4th one!) ordered again, this time received with no dividers inside the glass. It goes on, and finally on the 8th----YES..THE 8TH----sash Pella gets it right. They have also now gone thru 2 doors as they keep warping on the bottom. At least those 2 doors only took the receipt of 3 other wrong doors before they got it right!

Long story short, for all that is holy, stay away from Pella!

Actually...in these very forums you will see this recent thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5538

Bull's Glass

#7 Post by Bull's Glass »

Hi there, I hope this answers your question..

1) Warranty. Find out who offers the best warranty. Some have "Limited lifetime" some have "Lifetime" . Milgard offers a full lifetime warranty on parts AND labor for as long as the buyer owns the house. 10 Years on multi-family dwellings.

2) Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC). Is how well the glass resists heat transfer. It indicates the percentage of solar heat energy that makes its way through the glazing, including both directly transmitted and indirectly transferred heat initially absorbed by the glazing

3) U-Value. How much heat transfers through a window. The lower the U-Value, the slower the rate of heat flow, thereby better insulating performance.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bull's,

You are leaving off what I think is second only to U-Factor in terms of representative performance (some could argue it is more important) in Air Infiltration.

karenbartone

#9 Post by karenbartone »

I have been looking for vinyl replacement windows in CT. After some lengthy research, I am considering 3 different Soft-Lite window series (Imperial Pro Series, Imperial SL Series and Elements Series). I have read many reviews and found some past issues for the Soft-Lite Pro and SL. The Element series seems to not have any issues I can find. Could someone tell me how these three windows are reviewed as of today June 2014?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Elements is excellent and the best of the 3 . Second would be the LS, then the pro. I would go with the Elements.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

Elements is my favorite out of that bunch by leaps and bounds.

karenbartone

#12 Post by karenbartone »

Thanks,

I agree the Elements seem very good and I am waiting for a quote. If they are out of my price range, how bad are the Pro?

I am down to 3 quotes for double hung windows. I am trying to figure out the best quality of these three and not feeling great about any of them for different reasons:
1-Soft-Lite Imperial Pro
2-All-Time Manufacturing CO Vinyl Window series
3-Lowe's Premium Vinyl Windows - United 4800 series

I am in Connecticut.

I have read all the marketing and I understand the NFRC Ratings, they all meet energy star.

*BTW the NFRC web site is a good place for anyone who is looking for the general guidelines and language about replacement windows.

karenbartone

#13 Post by karenbartone »

Turns out Soft-Lite Elements are to expensive in my area and for my budget, CT.
I am being told they are between $850 to $1100 per window installed.

I am down to the three options below. Can anyone tell me which one of these is best and if these are fair quotes?

17 double hung vinyl replacement windows, 92 Ui. inches, aluminum wrapped exterior wood molding.

1-Soft-Lite Imperial Pro, $7800.00 installed
2-All-Time Manufacturing CO Vinyl Window series -$8600.00 installed
3-Lowe's Premium Vinyl Windows - United 4800 series $8800.00 installed

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

That might be an unreasonable budgetary number for a good product.

What is the basis behind the window replacement?

karenbartone

#15 Post by karenbartone »

The windows are rotting out of the house, the sills are falling apart. There are gaps between the frame of the 1987 wood windows and the opening.
It is also very drafty in the winter. If we do not replace the windows they will continue to fall apart and rot.