Thoughts about Alside, Softlite, and Sunrise?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
peanutlover17

Thoughts about Alside, Softlite, and Sunrise?

#1 Post by peanutlover17 »

We are looking to replace 21 windows with vinyl for our 20 year old home in the Midwest. We have received multiple quotes for insert windows including:

Alside Mezzo $11,000
Alside Sheffield $12,000
Softlite Pro $14,000
Sunrise $16,000

I have read many reviews stating that Softlite and Sunrise are much better quality than Alside. Can someone explain exactly what makes the quality worth $1000s more? Since we have some narrow windows (15 in) we are hoping to lose as little glass as possible. Any thoughts on that- the Mezzo line seems to have the narrowest frame? I am willing to continue to shop around if needed. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Thoughts about Alside, Softlite, and Sunrise?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Which model Sunrise?

The last two are the better windows but we kind of need to know options and other comparables.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

The Sheffield is the only member of that group that does not belong in terms of glass area (Mezzo, Sunrise, and Sl pro are very close). That said, the Sunrise and SL options are generally more highly regarded by pros due to fewer service issues, superior performance ratings, and better overall feedback regarding quality.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

The sunrise ( as long as its not Essentials) and Soft Lite are worlds better than both the mezzo and sheffield.
I wouldnt even consider alside unless you are moving a week after the installation.
Another good window is Vytex. They make a solid window and its sharp looking. Great performance numbers. The Potomac series and Fortis are very nice.
Last edited by masterext on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peanutlover17

#5 Post by peanutlover17 »

The Sunrise line is not the Essentials- it is their upper line (not sure of the name).

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Sunrise hierarchy is as follows from the top down:
Restorations
Vanguard
Verde
Sunrise (base "chassis" for all of the above)
Essentials

From the base Sunrise on up, I'd characterize them from good to very good, although this is one brand where I stress the importance of sash reinforcement a little more than others.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good summary HomeSealed.

All the Sunrise (upper models) are good. I would run from the Essentials like the plague.

peanutlover17

#8 Post by peanutlover17 »

Thanks for the advice. I think we will likely go with the Soft Lite Pro- seems like a good compromise on price and quality.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Have you looked at the LS or Elements from SL? They are a solid step up from the Pro, although based on your criteria and current choices, I'd say that you are on the right track.
The Okna 500 is pretty slim as well and is available throughout much of the midwest.