Recommendation for 1917 home replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Zara

Recommendation for 1917 home replacement

#1 Post by Zara »

We are in the market to replace 12 windows in a sleeping porch in our 1917 home. We live in Iowa. Looking for suggestions for best replacement.

Windows on Washington

Re: Recommendation for 1917 home replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Zara,

Commonly recommended brands (may or may not be available in your area) are Innovations, Kensington Quantum II, Soft-Lite Elements, Sunrise Restorations, Okna Enviro-Star, etc.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

are you looking for vinyl, clad wood, aluminum or fiberglass?
How do they operate?
Is the porch heated and cooled?

Zara

#4 Post by Zara »

Looking for vinyl, currently they are casement but we are thinking replacing with double hung. This is heated room, actually used as a bedroom.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Zara,

Where is the home located (region)? Vinyl windows can be somewhat regional.

Windows on Washington

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The OP's windows probaly do not have much historical value since they are casements.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I would agree with Todd regarding his comment on casements. Very possible that they are not original to the house if that is the case, however that is speculation, much like most of the commentary in this thread so far. I'd also add that here in the midwest, there are many homes built in that time period that have little to no historical relevance whatsoever. Far too little information given to comment definitively on anything other than simply answering the OP's question.
*IF* the home fits the bill, and if the existing windows are original and in a condition that would justify restoration, that is certainly something worth exploring and would probably be recommended.

Zara

#8 Post by Zara »

Ok, while this has been entertaining, I posted because I've been reading this (and other) reviews and opinions about window replacement and I decided I needed more input.

I have a quote from Pella, we live in IOWA and one from our favorite carpenter who uses Alside. But after reading, I posted.

I have a call in to a guy who builds WOOD windows but have no idea if he can help us yet.

I can get a quote from Sunlite. The Imperial series.

To answer the questions posted here-

We live in Iowa
Porch is original to house
The current windows are casement with a push out lever - as painted over and ignored as they look, we believe them to be original. Only 2 open.
We do not have historical covenants. We just want to be good stewards of the home knowing it will be here a long after us.

The house is a 3 story Tudor. When we bought it we took down wall paper on every wall. Had it replastered and painted. It has lovely oak floors that we had refinished. The kitchen had been remodeled prior to us, new oak cabinets with some of the original cabinetry left, the bumped out the kitchen and what we call the hearth room, have two aluminum windows on that side (the back) of the house. The oak woodwork on the first floor is in great shape. The second floor wood work had been painted-darn. Bath rooms have been remodeled over the years. The third floor is a ballroom. Pine floors on third but the walls were in terrible shape, we had to spray that plaster and paint. There was remnant damage to that floor that had to be fixed. Fortunately the slate roof had been replaced, by the previous owner ( thank you!).

All the other windows appear to be original. Most have an aluminum storm/screen over the outside of the original wood windows. Other than French doors that come into the house in three areas, but are double doors, the sleeping porch is the area that needs attention.

Probably too much information, but I do appreciate your comments.

Z

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

I think you mean soft lite, not sunlite. The Imperial LS is a good window and one i would consider. I would prefer the soft lite elements but the Imperial Ls is pretty solid.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If it is Soft-Lite the LS is a great product and would be my #2 choice behind Okna/HiMark.

Casement to DH: you will get less air flow, DH only get ~ 50%, casements ~ 100%.
Will the sizes remain the same? Normally you can cover more width with less DH due to the casement size limitations?

Your extended comments were helpful in understanding your project better.

theWindowNerd