2nd home windows and patio door

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Monk

2nd home windows and patio door

#1 Post by Monk »

Have been lurking on this site for months great resource. First post. Am in need of replacing our patio sliders at our second home on a lake outside Knoxville Tennessee. Eventually replacing one more slider and four windows in the end. Just trying to get by with one slider at present. Originally thought Marvin was the best fit the ultimate clad price was prohibited for a second home. Marvin rep said the integrity window did not come in our sizes needed. After getting information from this site checked out Okna windows which are not available in our area. And a quote from sunrise windows which I was very impressed with and thought they would be a great fit. Unfortunately just got the quote back for a rough opening measurement 60"x 801/2". The one man sales organization representing this area only feels comfortable selling the restoration window. The quote for one was $350 over the Marvin ultimate clad window which blew me away, I was under the impression that the Marvin window was the most overprice window on the market until now. I understand the sunrise will have better performance but I was looking for performance at mid level to modest price point.

To my question, any advice as to other manufacturers in my area, to look into with some savings with a good reputation performance and warranty. I understand you pay for what you get but for a second home I'm not looking for the top of the line, want to be positioned in the middle for 20 years performance. I also understand installation is another key factor which I will be looking closely into just need direction to a MFG, way too many choices need to narrow my search. On vacation this week wanting to get people in to get a quote thanks in advance for all your help and advice

Windows on Washington

Re: 2nd home windows and patio door

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Monk,

Innovations, Kensington Quantum II, and Soft-Lite Elements are the typically recommended windows and their slider equivalents are quite good as well.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

What were the prices? It is possible the Marvin is priced right and the Sunrise is out of this world, or it could be that the Marvin was just priced really low to begin with.

Monk

#4 Post by Monk »

Marvin dealer is only getting one window with the option on four windows and additional slider down the road. The sunrise dealer is proposing a roof soffit and fascia along with siding the house. What I'm willing to do with sunrise now is two sliders roof soffits fascia if his window prices come in competitive. So long answer no the Marvin dealer has no incentives or specials he is passing onto us, vs what sunrise is trying to do. Prices Marvin $2,489. Sunrise $2,881 each installed.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Monk wrote:Marvin dealer is only getting one window with the option on four windows and additional slider down the road. The sunrise dealer is proposing a roof soffit and fascia along with siding the house. What I'm willing to do with sunrise now is two sliders roof soffits fascia if his window prices come in competitive. So long answer no the Marvin dealer has no incentives or specials he is passing onto us, vs what sunrise is trying to do. Prices Marvin $2,489. Sunrise $2,881 each installed.
The Marvin price is obscenely (good for you in this case) low.

I have never seen an Ultimate near that and that is unsustainable in a business model if you ask me.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Sunrise is in the normal range, maybe slightly at the higher end of the norm depending on options and installation.
The marvin dealer is either going to take a bath on the project or try to jack up the price after the sale... You may as well pay him in beer at that price.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

I agree with HomeSealed. A Marvin Ultimate that low ?? Makes absolutely no sense.
The Sunrise is basically in the upper end of normal .

Monk

#8 Post by Monk »

Contacted the Marvin dealer today he is out of town for the holidays. Got the order pulled to review it because I had some concerns with a few postings stating this is a very low quote. Went over the order 1 clad ultimate no add-ons cancel the other slider and four windows. The installation price went up a bit, a $125 installation delivery charge. Total came up to $2,747.61 did not place the order due to my concern about a 10 year only warranty on all their products. I will be replacing all the windows and slider eventually with like product. Is Marvin's warranty only 10 years? Versus sunrises lifetime non-prorated and transferable. That is how I read the two warranties, would that be correct.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

So to clarify, that $2700 is for a sliding patio door, correct? That is still dangerously low IMO.
Regarding warranty, that is correct. Marvin and pretty much all wood products come with 10 years on wood and mechanical components with 20yrs on glass seal. The Sunrise is a true lifetime and is pretty solid. If the look and feel of the Sunrise meet your expectations, I think that would be a better long term solution for you.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Tough to say what they are charging for materials there but in our market, there is negative margin in that price.

Monk

#11 Post by Monk »

If I need four of these doors for the total project. I should order them now because of this great price?

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you are confident that they can put them in and/or service them after the fact...sure.

That pricing is really scary to me.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Is it a phenomenal deal to get those doors installed at that price? YES. Will it still be a great deal in a year or two when you find out that they were installed incorrectly and now have a host of issues, and the company is out of business? ... Not saying that is definitely going to be the case, but this industry gets a ridiculous number of guys start their own "business", and then go belly up because they were losing money.

Monk

#14 Post by Monk »

Ok did some checking on this Co. To buy these doors from. Been in business for 15 years plus, A+ with the BBB. So I call to place the order for 2 sliders Marvin clad. The contract comes from the sales manager??? Everything has changed the new total for Marvin clads are not $3,437.42 each installed. I call and ask for the manager talk to him and ask what is going on. Long and short the NEW salesmen put the wrong prices in and did not add enough for installation, and did not add taxes to the order. I understand people make mistakes, asked him if we could work on this price because it was not my fault the new salesman did not have enough training and the proper supervision. In a polite way he said no way. Sounds too good to be true. well it is not. What a let down thought this was done deal and behind us. I still have the Sunrise door. But I did like the look of wood. Okna and Softlite do not seem to be in my area. No more Marvin I am done with them. Any suggestions on a new MFG, in my Tn. Area? Fiberglass doors could be a option. Any help would be welcomed.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think your next best bet is the Sunrise door.

That pricing was wrong from the start. Sorry that their mistake did get your hopes up.