Vinyl Design replacement windows vs Simonton

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
RetiredinNC

Vinyl Design replacement windows vs Simonton

#1 Post by RetiredinNC »

We are replacing the (wood) windows in our house, and are considering installing this brand of of vinyl windows - Vinyl Design, located in Holland, OH. The contractor has been in business since 1985, and he went to this company's windows about 7 yrs. ago. Supposedly his low price (about $305 per window) is because he is dealing directly with the factory. But I can't find any reviews of these windows online. I realize they are a very small operation in OH. I would like to know how their windows compare to Simonton, the other brand we are considering. We would like to know if Vinyl Design is a low-end or mid-range window. We definitely want something mid to upper-range; but not willing to go the Andersen route. Thanks!

Randy

Re: Vinyl Design replacement windows vs Simonton

#2 Post by Randy »

If those are your only two choices, I'd stick with Simonton as it's at least a consistently mid grade window. Never heard of the VD brand and their website gives little to no information that is useful in determining the build quality.

Sunrise should have either their Vanguard or Restorations line in your area, and you might also look for Soft-lite or Okna dealers.

RetiredinNC

#3 Post by RetiredinNC »

Thank you very much. Will look into Sunrise windows - we're just getting started on this project.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm not very familiar with VD either, but it is safe to say that at $300ea installed you are not getting very high quality.

wattsaver

#5 Post by wattsaver »

I have used Vinyl Design in my home performance contracting business since its inception. I have had one seal failure during those 5 years. They have done me and my clients well over that time, and frankly, for the quality I have received and service from the plant, I see no reason to pay additional for a Simonton or any other unit, for that matter.

You have to look at your project from the stand point of what kind of return you are going to receive from your purchase. If you are looking to replace your windows solely for energy-efficiency reasons, keep what you have...you will never get your money back. The average payback on a vinyl replacement window project today is 27-34 years. With the higher-end clad products, that payback jumps into the 50-60 year range. I understand though that there are other reasons to replace windows. I am just not a huge fan of putting good money after bad. I intall Vinyl Design daily for $389/hole in NC. That includes GBG, Low-E, and three colors up to 101 UI.

So, comparing a Simonton (which is a decent window) and paying $400-600/unit for it versus a Vinyl Design with similar specs, the choice is pretty easy...go for the lower cost if you are happy with the installing company of 25 years. The difference in energy-savings is miniscule between the two over the life of the products side by side.

RetiredinNC

#6 Post by RetiredinNC »

Not replacing for energy-saving purposes; the seals have failed in several of our street-facing windows, wood rot also within the double panes. The house is about 16 yrs. old. We want to replace about 1/2 the windows this year, then the others next year. Don't care about a fancy 'name' in windows - but would like to feel better about choosing such an obscure company's product!

wattsaver

#7 Post by wattsaver »

RetiredinNC wrote:Not replacing for energy-saving purposes; the seals have failed in several of our street-facing windows, wood rot also within the double panes. The house is about 16 yrs. old. We want to replace about 1/2 the windows this year, then the others next year. Don't care about a fancy 'name' in windows - but would like to feel better about choosing such an obscure company's product!
Point well taken. I would say though to not completely discount Vinyl Design solely because you have never heard of them before. Actually, in my line of work, some of the best products we use are the ones not known to the rest of the world, why, because they do not market as much as someone else might.

Case in point, Trane is probably the best HVAC system in the industry, but they think very highly of their product. I have a Trane in my home (love it), but there are times when spending $2000 less for a Goodman, with a better warranty and service history makes sense.

All I am saying is there are large number of companies out there who are smaller and offer the same, if not better service; my experience with Vinyl Design would be one of those examples.

Good luck on your search and project!!!

John

wattsaver

#8 Post by wattsaver »

Lastly, I will also say that in a number of scenarios in the construction field, the installer is the most important to look at, the other things are somewhat equal. Having a track record of 25 years installing windows is impressive and should be taken into account if the price is right. A bad installer can ruin a top-notch window product very easily if you are not careful.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I share with my customers that buying and having windows installed is a 200% project.
100% you need the right windows for your home.
100% you need the right installer installing the right product on your home.

Why someone thinks they know a little about windows would even think a Simonton window is a good window is beyond me; good company, fair to good warranty, poor performance window. I used Sinton as my primary offering for several years till I became serious about thermal an structural performance of window and doors.

theWindowNerd.c..

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

wattsaver wrote:I have used Vinyl Design in my home performance contracting business since its inception. I have had one seal failure during those 5 years. They have done me and my clients well over that time, and frankly, for the quality I have received and service from the plant, I see no reason to pay additional for a Simonton or any other unit, for that matter.
Are you saying that you've been in business for five years or that VD's been around for five years? Who's inception are you referring to?

wattsaver

#11 Post by wattsaver »

Randy wrote:
wattsaver wrote:I have used Vinyl Design in my home performance contracting business since its inception. I have had one seal failure during those 5 years. They have done me and my clients well over that time, and frankly, for the quality I have received and service from the plant, I see no reason to pay additional for a Simonton or any other unit, for that matter.
Are you saying that you've been in business for five years or that VD's been around for five years? Who's inception are you referring to?

I have been in construction for ocer 20 years as a whole, but started my own business five years ago. Vinyl Design has been around since 1988.

Randy

#12 Post by Randy »

Thanks for the clarification.