Polaris Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tcarney77

Polaris Windows

#1 Post by tcarney77 »

I live in NW Ohio and am looking to replace 12 double hung windows on my home. Have had quotes from 4 companies: Champion (promoting their most recent window), Home Depot (Simonton Renovations 6500), Air-Tite Windows, and another local contractor (in business since 1931) promoting a Polaris Ultraweld window. The contractor has been installing windows since the 70s.

Champion, Home Depot, and Air-Tite all came in with relatively close estimates. The local contractor was about 35% under.

Is this contactor just cheap or are the windows no good???
Should I keep getting estimates???

All are vinyl windows.
All have 7/8" gap between glass.
All have transferable warranties.

Champion, Simonton, Polaris: Welded Frame
Air-Tite:Screwed Frame

Champion, Simonton, Air-Tite: Argon Gas
Polaris: Krypton

Champion, Simonton, Polaris: Low E glass
Polaris: Low E2 glass

Champion, Simonton, Polaris: Stainless Steel Constant Force Balance
Air-Tite: Rod type

I understand there's many other things to look for but these are some examples of what is promoted. All in all, Polaris looks like a good window, unless somebody can tell me different. From what I've read, Krypton is better than Argon, Low E is better than Low E2.

I can't find anything on Polaris windows (other than their website). They are manufactured in Youngstown, Ohio and carried by Modern Builders. I can't find anything on Polaris on this website, as well

Any assistance would be appreciated.

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

The differences between those four brands of windows are far greater than what you are sharing with everyone. you looked at all four what do you think? a polaris window {which i am very familiar with}should not even be mentioned with the other three. you seen them you know what you seen. i think you are looking for someone to tell you to put in the cheap window therefore giving you someone to blame when you are not happy with them. cheap is cheap for a reason. if price is all you are concerned with go with the polaris. also they make 4 different lines of windows. good luck.

tcarney77

#3 Post by tcarney77 »

....and I think that your a window rep looking to make 10-15% commission on your windows...I am not looking for someone to blame. I'm looking for some honest answers. This is a large investment. I looked at all 4 windows. I saw some differences but none that would constitute a 35% difference. The local contractor owner came to my house, not a rep, not a salesperson. I think some of the price of the window has to do how much they are marked up by the sales person. What is the typical commission a salesperson makes when selling a window? When the salesperson calls back 5 days after he makes the sales call and is willing to give extra percentage points off even before negotiating, you've got to wonder....

Is buying windows like buying a car? Do you have to wheel and deal until you get the right price?

I can see this was a complete waste of time.

BillH

#4 Post by BillH »

Bear with this website - I'm a newcomer but have leanred a lot - I don't know what the previous posters problem is, but you WILL find a lot of helpful, knowledgable people here....

Yes, wheeling and dealing is the name of the game, but the best advice I have had is that you get what you pay for adn try to get references from neighbours to find good companies...

Good Luck.

windowmann2000

Polaris

#5 Post by windowmann2000 »

Don't give up, and yes you have to wheel and deal especially with the shark's in this business. My advice to you is to go with the local contractor who's been around a while with a few conditions. First of all beating Champion and HD by 35% would put you into the reasonably priced contractor's range. He's not cheap but probably just fair and if he's been around as long as you say he has, that's probably why. Trash the Air-tite or whatever you called it -non welded and spiral balancer are not what you need. In as far as quality, Modern's best window is comparable to a middle of the road Simonton. Low-e squared is slightly better than regular Low-e although their all getting pretty close to equal. Your salespeople may have confused you and what your looking at for glass from these people is a 7/8" overall glass package with the air-space being around 1/2-5/8 of an inch. If your local contractor check's out by all means go with him. In as far as argon vs krypton goes, argon is used in most dual pane IG units with krypton being use mostly in triple's. If you want more info write me.

windowrep

#6 Post by windowrep »

CARNEY
sure did not mean to get you all upset over my previous post. I am very famaliar with all four windows you mentioned and unlike others on this board will not comment on windows i am not familiar with. go with what you are comfortable with. just dont expect to drive a lexus and get a ford focus payment book. is it better to pay $20 for something worth $10 or $25 for something worth $30? and just to humor you sales reps dont make 10 - 15% at least not that i am aware of. and the owner that came to your house you don't think he is a salesman? of course he is. he is trying to sell you the ultraweld. every transaction that ever takes place has a salesman. seriously good luck and go cavs

Zoe B

Polaris Windows

#7 Post by Zoe B »

Hi there-- I have Polaris Ultraweld windows (double hung). We had them installed two years ago (After my in-laws had then installed in their home). We did our homework and compared many of the brands of windows. After much research, for quality and price, the Polaris windows were the way to go. Honestly, we love these windows and are very happy with our decision. We went with white on the outside and the wood-look on the inside. Good luck. :lol:

Zoe B

Polaris Windows

#8 Post by Zoe B »

Hi there-- I have Polaris Ultraweld windows (double hung). We had them installed two years ago (After my in-laws had then installed in their home). We did our homework and compared many of the brands of windows. After much research, for quality and price, the Polaris windows were the way to go. Honestly, we love these windows and are very happy with our decision. We went with white on the outside and the wood-look on the inside. Good luck. :lol: