Okna Windows highly recommend excellent value

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
karenbartone

Okna Windows highly recommend excellent value

#1 Post by karenbartone »

Anyone looking for an excellent window at a competitive price will want to look at the Okna window 800. 500 and 400, Okna was recommended to me and it is the best quality for the price I have found. BTW I have gotten over 14 estimates. Okna has a very comprehensive website and it will help any new window shopper get aquatinted with how to rate a window. Just wanted to pass along the recommendation in hopes to save someone else a bit of time and energy. Perhaps even a few tears as shopping for windows is not for the faint of heart.

wattsaver

Re: Okna Windows highly recommend excellent value

#2 Post by wattsaver »

I don't quite understand why one has to get 14 estimates, but I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment on Okna. They are definitely a top line product that I used for years up in Virginia. Sadly, they will not deliver to Central NC, so I had to improvise.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Okna continues to expand their sales area.
I would think that if the volume was high enough they could delivery any where east of the Rockies.
How many of you can remember when they were in the tiny building 20 years ago?
My hope for Okna is continued strong growth, strong QC, and product development.

karenbartone

#4 Post by karenbartone »

Why would one have to get over 14 estimates? Let me enlighten you.

First off, you can not even get the full NFRC and AAMA ratings or a price per window on many windows unless you get an estimate. That is the marketing game I experienced. Then there are the companies that say they sell a window you contact them for, they show up at your house and try to sell you another window and will not give you any info on the window you originally were looking at.

Second, CT is one of the most expense states to live in the country with outrageous taxes to boot. On some accounts, CT is the MOST expensive place to live in the country. To top it off we are all sitting in houses that have been very slow to appreciated over the past 10 to 12 years. If that is not enough, we are holding down jobs that do not come close to keeping up with the rate of inflation. I had to search and search for a fair deal on windows because of all of this. I can not let my house fall apart but if it is not appreciating at the same rate as I am putting money into it, I have a real life concern. Quiet honestly, I do not think I am the only person in this situation. Perhaps I am the only one openly speaking about it but across America I know others are having the same concerns. Most of my friends are just letting their houses fall apart.

Additionally, I could find very poor quality window at a premium price or windows that were well over $1100 per window who's ratings are comparable to Onka.
Sadly, I found one scam after another. Much of the time these window Co. could not or would not full disclose the NFRC and AAMA ratings.

You are fortunate you have not been through any of this. However, I know other people might be going through what I am finding and I wrote this post to help them.

wattsaver

#5 Post by wattsaver »

karenbartone wrote:Why would one have to get over 14 estimates? Well, let me enlighten you.

CT is one of the most expense states to live in the country. On some accounts, it is the MOST expensive place to live in the country. I had to search and search for a fair deal. I could find very poor quality window at a premium price or windows that were well over $1100 per window who's ratings are comparable to Onka.

At any rate, I found one scam after another. The window industry in CT is quiet the racket. You are fortunate you do not live in a place were that is the case.

I am sorry you had such a rotten experience, CT is not unlike any state in the country...we all have jack-leg contractors, tin men, and downright criminals in our areas. Remodeling is not unlike any other trade or industry when it comes to scams.

With that said, I would recommend the next time you enter into one of these projects, you call your local builders association and remodelers council. They know who the legitimate contractors are. I am not huge fan of the BBB but they and the Angie's Lists of the world will give you a true glimpse of how contractors interact with their clientele. These sources, in themselves would have saved you and the numerous contractors you called a lot of time.

One last thing...usually my experience shows when I am sealing with a prospect who is getting 10 or more estimates, they are usually not sure of what they want, nor are they usually flexible in their acceptance of much of anything. In other words, they are looking for perfection, but it doesn't exist. As much as I invest in my employees to do the right thing, we are not perfect.

When value exceeds price people buy. I cannot imagine that you just happened to defy the odds and met with every jack-leg in the local area (that is borderline impossible). Sometimes, value and professionalism is staring you right in the face; you just need to grab it. Being better prepared ahead of time gives to the power and know-how to take advantage of these opportunities.

Every area in the country has someone who runs their business professionally like WoW, Anthony, or myself. You just need to know where to look.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice from wattsaver, and congrats on a good purchase Karen. One thing I'd add is that when searching out a specific window, it is typically beneficial to contact the manufacturer for recommended dealers in your area. That is a good way to alleviate the "switcharoo" games where they say they carry it just to get in your home to sell something else.