Marvin Ultrex vs Renewal Fibrex

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
srbsail

Marvin Ultrex vs Renewal Fibrex

#1 Post by srbsail »

This subject has probably been discussed as nauseum but anyone's opinion would be greatly appreciated. We are looking to replace our gambrel house windows. I want maintenance-free windows. No wood. Vinyl may deflect with time. We have narrowed it down to Renewal Fibrex (our preferred) Replacement windows and Marvin Ultrex (good but seem a bit more flimsy) new construction windows. The Renewal windows will require some exterior casing replacement. We looked at Pella but they didn't pass the test at some point. Maybe we should look back at them. In any event, the Renewal windows have more options to our liking, Marvin not so much. BUT, the big difference is price. Renewal is 40% pricier than Marvin ($1,400 vs $1,000 per window installed), with less work (remember, the Renewal are replacement windows, not new construction). We got a Renewal "unwrittten" ballpark price in the early spring at a home show, then asked for a firmer price recently. The % cut deal was the same, but the base price went up, including the "retail" price, whatever that is! We like the Renewal window best, but can't stomach the 40% difference. How can they compete at this price differential? Would waiting again until the spring do us any good? Any help is good.

Randy

Re: Marvin Ultrex vs Renewal Fibrex

#2 Post by Randy »

RBA has to be the most over priced yet under performing window ever built. While certainly attractive, it's so over priced it's ridiculous. I could never, under any circumstances, recommend it to anyone.

The Marvin Integrity wood/ultrex is much nicer than the all ultrex version. While I understand that you don't want wood, the way the Integrity is built basically eliminates the typical maintenance required with wood windows. You could also take a look at the Infinity line and the necessary modifications for new construction.

Pella's Impervia fiberglass window is bottom of the barrel and should be avoided as well. Not only is it a poor performer, it's ugly.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Good high performance vinyl will get at least 30 years.
Where are ya located.
If you are going to go Fiberglass, then look at fiberglass window companies, not wood companies that do not excel at it. InLine fiberglass is a company that I like and use.

srbsail

#4 Post by srbsail »

located in Massachusetts. windows that leak at joints not good. cold winter winds find their way in everywhere. I will look into InLine and Marine ultrex/wood. Thanx.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are concerned about wind you will not want RBA or Marvin.
Do not take any ones word for it. Insist on see structural test for actual air infiltration, AI.
High performance vinyl will get ya .01 , can not get better. Most average windows are .20, or twenty times as breezy.
Well as for leaking joints or corners. Which do you think more likely to leak, miterred and mechanically fastened corners or welded corners?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would agree with you that the Pella shouldn't be in that short list.

That being said, as The Window Nerd mentioned, the best performing windows out there are in vinyl. They will have higher DP numbers in addition to better performance data.

If you are thinking white/white, you can't beat vinyl.

If you want a different look and like the look of the fiberglass or fibrex unit, the Marvin is superior to the RBA.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Great advice above. It sounds like the sales pitch of those two options has pointed you away from vinyl, but I'd encourage you to at least take a look at a premium unit. Those claims that they make are particularly ironic given that the RBA product is comprised primarily of vinyl, just with a lesser warranty (only 10 yrs), lower performance (u-factor and air infiltration), and a higher price tag. If a vinyl and saw dust mixture was truly a great window material don't you think that more manufacturers would be using it? ...and no, its not because it is "proprietary", just look at how many brands of composite decking there are.
In Marvin, I like the wood/ultrex. The all ultrex model OTOH offers the same value proposition vs high end vinyl as the rba, which is to say it has no advantage.
Look at U-factors, SHGC, air infiltration, design pressure. These are all independently tested ratings that will provide the true "tale of the tape" in your comparison process.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

I think the Fibrex is a good Idea and product. I think why others do not use a material like it is the steep cost to develop,retool and redesign a new window when they have products that are similar enough.Most companies would not have the deep pockets or would be willing to take the chance.I think why others do not use it is a bit more complex than some of the replies would indicate. Their warranties are minimal because they compete with wood products with similar warranties, most all vinyl have lifetime warranties of some sort in order to compete with one another.The Renewal and Marvin Infinity are similar in sales structure and pricing, may want take a look at the Infinity as it is a nice looking product.

uncle eddie

#9 Post by uncle eddie »

Fibrex is a good idea from a marketing perspective and that's about it. It offers no other benefit.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

RBA makes me think of a $140K Porsche that has a top speed of 110MPH, runs a 16 second 1/4 mile, and gets 9 MPG. Nice to look at though……………..

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If you have a Starmark dealer nearby you might look at them. They are made by Okna.
It's a cellular composite window and you can order them with nailing fins. If you need extension jambs they are an option as well.
The Double Hung has a.05 air infiltration rate and for a small upcharge you can get their triple/argon XR-11 package that will give you a .17 U-factor.
It comes in either white or a stainable/paintable option on the interior. The exterior can be almost any color you wish.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Mike nailed it with that analogy.
Good advice from Window4U as well.