How to trim out vinyl windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mlcarr2000

How to trim out vinyl windows

#1 Post by mlcarr2000 »

First post to the forum. Lots of good information here! Looking to build a new house and have narrowed window search down to pella proline wood windows or sunrise restorations. I currently have proline windows (14+ years old) and haven't had any trouble to date so was inclined to repurchase until reading of all the issues. I have since gotten quotes for PlyGem Premium, Simonton Brickmould 600 and Sunrise Restorations. Sunrise Restorations appears to have the best reviews and the quote came in slightly below the Proline windows. The only downside is the Proline windows come with factory applied extension jambs and Sunrise does not offer this option. The exterior of the house will be ledgestone with some vinyl siding. For the vinyl portion of the house, we were planning on picture framing the windows with 4" white border (preferably maintenance free product, azek, etc). A lot of new construction vinyl windows seem to have the integrated j-channel around the frame. My question is....how do you create the picture frame look with the integrated j-channel? Does the azek board (or another product) fit in the integrated j channel? Does this look OK? Also, for the windows in the stone area....can you just install the stone up to j-channel? Does it need to be caulked? Feedback, suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: How to trim out vinyl windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You should be able to get that window with a normal nailing flange.

If you put some 5/4 by 4 board (Azek or similar PVC) up, if should cover the nailing flange and/or J-channel if it is integrated.

Making jamb extensions should be no big deal for the framers/carpenters when the home is being built.

You going with double or triple pane?

mlcarr2000

#3 Post by mlcarr2000 »

Thanks for quick reply. Plan on going with double pane windows with ultra12 glass package...at least that is how it was quoted. It's a ranch with all double hung windows on the main floor and sliders in the daylight area of the basement. Are Sunrise sliders any good?

Do you think the azek board would fit in the integrated channel or would it have to be ripped down? Are there other products other than azek which look as good or better? I sort of liked the integrated flange and j-channel because it seemed like the window was completely sealed in plastic (nowhere for water to go except down and out)...I would hate to remove that. We really like the look of cement board next to 4-5" white trim around windows so we are trying to simulate that. I've seen too many people painting and repairing cement board and wood trim lately so we want to go as maintenance free as possible.

Any suggestions on the interface between stone and windows? Does that area need to be caulked?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You can rip it down on a table saw if you want the trim to tuck into the J-channel but you can just but it up to it if you want.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

The integrated j-channel is for tucking siding into in lieu of having trim. Trying to tuck trim in there would offer no benefit and would look terrible. Ordering with a standard nailing fin and installing using best practices will give you as much protection and a nicer finished product.

mlcarr2000

#6 Post by mlcarr2000 »

HomeSealed and WoW....thanks for replies. I was also thinking it may look odd if the trim board was tucked into the j-channel but I have not seen it done that way so not sure. I have seen the azek board at a siding supplier which has the integrated j-channel in it so I suppose I could use that next to the window and then the siding would tuck into that for a cleaner look. Do you know if the windows are typically cheaper if ordered without the integrated j-channel or is that sort of a freebie?

Do you guys typically see the integrated j-channel on Sunrise and other vinyl windows? Also, any comments on the Sunrise sliding windows?

Several of the windows will be roughly 36"x72" double hungs...have you seen any issues with windows that size? For roughly the same price....Are the Restoration windows superior to the Pella Proline windows? Thanks.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Sunrise products that don't feature the integral welded nailing flange with built in j-channel receiver will get a snap in collapsable nailing fin with open butt joint corners. I've done both in the past. If we aren't doing new vinyl siding, we don't want the built in j-channel as I feel it's just an open channel for nothing. When we do the snap in fin we also order along an accessory piece from Sunrise that's classified as "accessory groove filler." It's a little very inexpensive snap in vinyl piece that's color matched to the exterior of the window that fills the frame's exterior accessory groove for a cleaner exterior appearance.

We also take extra precautions with the snap-in fin by running some type of exterior sealant like Novaflex by Novaguard around the snap-in area of the fin so no potential water penetration is ever possible.

Sunrise sliders are very nice.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You should use a 5/4 x 4 trim board(actual be 1 1/16 x 3 1/2). Do not insert it into the J if it is on the windows.
If ya can find it I suggest looking at Okna 5500.

mlcarr2000

#9 Post by mlcarr2000 »

Delaware Mike...does the trim board look OK butted up next to the j channel? I guess if it's all white maybe it looks OK?? I liked the fact that the new construction nailing fin/j-channel on the display sample seemed very well sealed and integrated onto the window as compared to snap on nailing fins.

WindowNerd...looked at the Okna website but not sure if they offer Okna windows in MI. Do you prefer the Okna over the Restorations?

Thanks.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

I don't know how the trim board would look up against the Sunrise j-channel as I've never done it that way? I can tell you that PVC or capped trim boards will lay more flat onto your sheathing over a thinner nail fin than a thicker welded flange due to at some point behind the trim board the fin/flange will terminate while the board will will still have several inches of material. If the board sits a little "catty wampus" you will never get the miter joints to work right and you want trim boards glued and screwed. You would have to take some material out of the back of the board that would be atop the flange with a table saw.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

yes.
you can also order composite trim packages preassembled and with a fin dado built in.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »