Colored Vinyl

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MechAniX

Colored Vinyl

#1 Post by MechAniX »

Hello,

I received a quote for windows and was told by the seller that it would cost an extra $2700 to get them in color. It's for 9 windows and 2 sliding glass doors. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks,

-Mech

TheWindowNerd

Re: Colored Vinyl

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

custom colors are expensive.
It is in the range that is possible.

MechAniX

#3 Post by MechAniX »

Is that the norm? To paint white vinyl? Or is there windows that have the color mixed into the vinyl already?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

What color?
There are colored extrusions, however the selection is VERY limited. Typically 3, maybe 4 colors. Then if you want a different color interior and exterior there are VERY FEW companies that offer coextrusion options. The majority of colored exteriors these days are coatings. In my experience I've found them to be very durable and well executed. Most other window materials (wood, fiberglass, aluminum clad) are painted/coated exteriors as well, so to think that a vinyl option would be at a major disadvantage there would be illogical.
Regarding the price, its hard-- and perhaps unfair-- to say. Probably on the higher side of the normal range, but there are a lot of factors that go into that. One dealer may have a low margin on base price, make it up on options, while dealer 2 may be the opposite. Dealer 3 may simply use a standard markup across the board. The best way to compare is to look at apples to apples products and options and simply look at the final price as opposed to picking things apart item by item. :)

MechAniX

#5 Post by MechAniX »

The color would be black or dark brown. They are Anlin's with ThermaCoat. Im not sure if I can negotiate a better price or not. Would you think that is something that's negotiable?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

You will not find a black or dark brown extrusion any more. A few companies used to make them but the absorbed too much heat and essentially melted. The coatings used now have reflective additives to prevent that.
Regarding price, is the final job price in your budget and fair to you? Again, I'd recommend against negotiating on line items for the reasons that I mentioned above. That said, generally there some movement available unless he/she gave you a discounted price already. Wouldn't hurt to ask I suppose.

MechAniX

#7 Post by MechAniX »

Great, thanks for the reply and the good info HS. I will try and work the quote down a little.

MechAniX

#8 Post by MechAniX »

Ok....so it was going to cost me $11640 for 7 windows, 2 bathroom windows, and 2 sliding doors in color. A total of 11 items.... I was able to get them down to $11000 flat, install and all. This is for the Anlin Del Mar product with low-e3 and argon. Does this sound like a reasonable price? Thanks,

-Mech

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It is difficult for me to say if the price is low or high.
We would need all the job details: what is existing, job site conditions, type of install, product specs and sizes. Plus I would need to have a little info as to market conditions where the install is.

It does seem to me that you have done some research and negotiated a price. If you are confident with the company that they will do an excellent install then I think you go with it.

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

Sounds reasonable to me. Anlin is a well regarded product on the West Coast, so if you feel confident in the contractor, I'd say go with it.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. There are factors that are unknown regarding the pricing, but it does not sounds out of line at all. In fact, it is exactly what I was alluding to earlier, in that the color pricing sounded a little high, but the final price for the total package actually sounds about right even before the discount. Door are disproportionately expensive compared to windows.
I don't have experience with the product personally, but as Randy mentioned it is highly regarded out west.