Replace or Try to Fix

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TBrown

Replace or Try to Fix

#1 Post by TBrown »

Hey All,

I'm need help to make a decision about replacing my home windows or just replacing the weather stripping. Here are my details of the windows.... I have a 2002 home with builder windows. It seems that the seals / weather stripping on these windows are going bad. I'm feeling a breeze coming throught the seals and a couple of the windows are showing signs of condensation inside of the double window panes. But the casing around the windows seems to be OK. I've had a couple vendors (Gilkey, Renewal by Andersens) come out and give me some quotes on new windows. But after spending several hours web surfing, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to just try and repair the current window.

Any suggestions would be appreiated.

Thanks,
Terance

HomeSealed

Re: Replace or Try to Fix

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

What type of operator (casement, double hung, single hung)?
Do you see any visible damage to the weatherstripping or areas missing?

If not, you are unlikely to see much improvement by replacing weatherstripping. At the risk of sounding like a typical window salesman, you have 12-13 year old builder grade windows that probably did not perform well from the start, and will only get worse with time. Repairs and/or other "band-aid" fixes may offer some slight improvement if you can do so with minimal investment, but I would not put much time or money into them until you are able to replace.

Given your primary complaint, be sure to look for a product with an excellent air infiltration rating when the time comes.

bgbrock

#3 Post by bgbrock »

Not a window contractor myself, but just to provide a homeowner perspective......

I enthusiastically reinforce what HomeSealed has pointed out. Further to that, I would also point out that the money spent to reseal does not address any deficiencies in U value that may exist. In essence, you are throwing good money after bad.

In terms of the manufacturers that you have already entertained for quotes, and potential replacements, keep looking, there are FAR better choices, and more than likely they will be a lot less money and have far better AI (air infiltration) ratings.

Ask the question of which manufacturer you should be considering, but be specific as to what type(s) of windows you are replacing - single hung, double hung. casements, awning, etc.
The pros will certainly guide you in that respect.

Hope you didn't have to sit too long through the Andersen Renewal spiel. :lol:

TBrown

#4 Post by TBrown »

Thanks for the expert advice ... I was afraid that was going to be the answer.

The windows that need replaced are a mixture of 6 single hung and 2 large gliders. There are no visable signs of wear on the seal, but air is definitely coming in from the seals. i guess I will put up the plastic wrap on the windows until I find a good window company in the area.

I'm from the Southwest Ohio area, are they any pros in this area that you be able to steer me in the right direction as far a windows (and maybe a sliding patio door)?

Thanks...