need recommendations

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
npmadsen

need recommendations

#1 Post by npmadsen »

We live in Fairfield Co, CT. We are looking to replace our windows in our 1965 colonial. We have gotten several estimates.
We are considering 2 companies. Both excellent reviews on Angies List
1. Harvey Tribute VS Onka 500?
2. Do you recommend double or triple panes?
Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: need recommendations

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Of that comparison, I think the Okna is the superior window.

Given your climate, I would absolutely opt for the most efficient glass you can get. The triple pane deluxe option is great at a U-Factor of 0.19 (w/out grids).

npmadsen

#3 Post by npmadsen »

Thank you
Do you think there is a difference of the 500 vs the 800 window?
will the grids between the glass affect the performance, we have a colonial and would like to keep the feel of the divided glass

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Grids do slightly downgrade thermal performance, but only slightly.

The 800 is awesome as well and a bit nicer in my opinion if you want to bump it up a bit.

I put 800's in my sister in law's home in Glastonbury. They love them and are loving them even more right now.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Either Okna option will have significantly superior thermal and structural performance. If it is within your budget, the 800 is about as good as it gets

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Harvey is still using a tin plated spacer system ( intercept). Its a mystery as to why they have'nt even migrated to the stainless steel intercept. I dont know what Harvey is going to do when the new energy criteria mandates a .27 or lower. They are going to have a problem unless a customer pays up for triple pane.
Their performance numbers leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.
Compare Ufactor to the Okna. Harvey needs triple pane with Krypron is order to get a .21.
Okna gets a .19 with only argon. Okna also use a non metal spacer which is much more up to date with todays newer technology.
As far as grids, the performance numbers on the Okna 800 stay the same. The 500 goes from a .19 to a .20.

npmadsen

#7 Post by npmadsen »

Thank you all we just had the onka 800 triple pane installed , they look great. The installers were great and very efficient. The house looks so much better. I used window king in the Bronx ny, they were very professional.