What are my options...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
corwinswan

What are my options...

#1 Post by corwinswan »

We have decided to replace the windows in our 15 year old home. I was comfortable with the idea of doing it myself, as I have the tools to get it done and other diy construction experience. That was until I discovered that the windows have an integrated brick mold/J-channel. I really don't know how to proceed. Do I have to replace them with the same kind of window, and have to remove the vinyl siding to get to the nailing strip? I was also thinking about cutting back the siding, removing the windows and replacing them with a new construction window, and adding the brick mold and j-channel myself. What are my realistic options here, as info on the net in this situation seems to be little. Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: What are my options...

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You can do a pocket/insert set and remake the J-Channel via coil and working the trim brake.

Your other option is as you mentioned and would require cutting back the siding to create the room to remove the window, flange, assembly, in total and then go back with a new, new construction window and trim out the exterior.

Post up a picture if you can.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

For me the two options would be to either drop the siding and reinstall, or cut it back as you mentioned as an option. I strongly favor the cutback personally, as a houseful of windows requires an awful lot of siding R&R and all types of things that could go wrong in the process. With the cutback, you still get the more comprehensive install/flashing detail with the nail fin, flashing tape, drip cap, etc , all positively lapped.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Point of note...I prefer the cut back as well. Best install you can do.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Cut back will change the appearance of the windows from the current look along as your good with that. You need to make sure that you don't have windows on the front that have shutters so close together in which a cut back and then trim board installation would decrease the area between shutters that wouldn't allow for their reinstallation.

If I'm doing the install with existing vinyl siding, I prefer to drop and reinstall. It's tedious, unprofitable and virtually no one does it. I do cut backs with aluminum siding quite a bit.

corwinswan

#6 Post by corwinswan »

This is what I have to work with. Only these windows and the pair above them have that I guess you would call decorative top above the windows. The good thing about cutting the siding back and adding the brickmold is it'll give the house a different look compared to all the other mass produced mega boxes in the neighborhood. The windows are cheap, so I'm pretty much against the inserts idea.

Anyone have a site with ideas for the trim to share? Do hey actually mke a tool to cut the siding in situations like this?

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

3 tools that I like for cut backs are Malco siding snips, grinder with generic thin diamond blade, and multi-master type tool with fine tooth blade. Do not attempt to ever put a toothed blade in the grinder.

I do not like to caulk or silicone vinyl siding panels to the returns of trim boards like what guys do with aluminum siding. Castle Windows around here does this and it looks terrible. I like fresh new vinyl j-channel which requires more sheathing room to properly nail and get the mitered corners correct. This requires the siding to be peeled back as one can't account for the placement of all of the siding nails.

corwinswan

#8 Post by corwinswan »

Thanks for the reply Mike. Here's what a typical window will look like:

From what I can tell, the RO is 36"x62", but I'll verify that by removing the interior trim of one of the windows, and yes all the windows are the same size. Looking at the fact we plan on being here just another 4 years or so, I don't want to break the bank, and while just about any window will be an upgrade, I don't want to cheap out either (It'l be a good resale item). So what are some good mid level windows to look at?