Cold Aluminum but not ready to let cash go yet....

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mforce

Cold Aluminum but not ready to let cash go yet....

#1 Post by mforce »

We have a house that was built in 1978 with aluminum double pane windows. After this last winter the windows throughout the house was very cold. Some of the windows don't close really well.
I thought I could take care of the getting the tracks and balance systems lubed up and aid in the area of a better sliding track and balance system. I also have a family member that works for a glass company that can get me replacement double pane low e glass or even triple pane glass if need be to help us keep our windows.

The windows are single hung and the replacement glass packs would run us around $2500 plus my labor to install them. We have 25 windows that are decent size. We like the windows since they have a small frame and it seems the new vinyl windows have a HUGE frame around them.
We also priced new vinyl windows that would be installed for $9350 for double pane or $11,000 for triple pane low e with all the options.

Any advice is appreciated here on this subject.

Windows on Washington

Re: Cold Aluminum but not ready to let cash go yet....

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the home located?

Were you efforts at getting the windows to work better fruitful?

You are in a bit of a unique position as there is a 0.0% chance that you could ever do what you are talking about anywhere near that price that you are figuring on if you didn't have family in the glass business.

While a non-thermally broken aluminum frame isn't the best frame material, you are going to have a hard time making up the delta in fuel savings with an insulated frame or find a window (unless aluminum) that keeps that same aesthetic with the narrow lines.

Sound like to me that the better option is to go ahead and do the glass swap if you can.

mforce

#3 Post by mforce »

We are in Cincinnati, Ohio. I have gotten the windows to slide easier yes, but I haven't made a move with the new glass yet. My dilemma is also once we sell the house would the replacement glass pack be sufficient for would be buyers? I agree, I can't see the return of paying the additional for new vinyl windows. I think it would be hard to recoup the minimum of $6000 that new windows would cost us but maybe I am wrong.
Also my family member can do double, triple or laminated glass to help with sound on the front of the house. I am not sure how to put in the new glass but I am very handy at figuring things out. I put in a new patio door at our last house and it finished out nicely so I could probably figure the glass out.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Have you measured the thickness of glass pack that your existing windows will accommodate? Typically they are relatively thin, which will likely preclude triple pane or laminated options.

If you do a double pane IG with Low-e, I'd agree, it will take a while to recoup the difference in energy savings by replacing the aluminum frames. That said, you are wise to consider resale. The latest Cost vs Value report by Remodeling magazine puts the return on your investment at 60-70% (depending on location and other factors). Now if you add THAT to the energy savings payback, it is a bit more attractive....
I realize that I am sounding like a typical window sales guy here, but anyone that could be a potential buyer for your home in OH will likely determine that the windows need to be replaced upon first sight. Aluminum is terrible for a cold climate. Personally I wouldn't invest a dime in them. Put 3M plastic kits over them in the winter until you either sell or decide to embark on the larger expense of replacements.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I'd replace, that is still a lot of time to invest changing out the glass and when it's all done you still have an old window. If you're looking to save some cash I would replace the window yourself before replacing glass.

mforce

#6 Post by mforce »

Our glass is 3/8 thick double pane. I agree that I should probably bite the bullet and replace them. If anything it will help with resale value of the house. I have since embarked upon a few different manufacturers.

The first is a Thermal Weld installed for $8850 and this is for 24 window and one sliding back door.

The second is Ultra Weld same options for $9450

Then Thermal Weld triple pane for $10,450

Ultra Weld triple pane for $11,450

I can also get Vinylmax Hallmark edition triple pane for $12,000 and this includes 4 front windows with tempered glass, which everyone else that came out on the Polar windows said the tempered is quite a bit more to get. Also all quotes has the sliding patio back door with the quote.

I can get the Vinylmax Easton double pane installed with a friend that installs windows for about $7000.00 This is the least amount of money spent but not sure if it is the better window.

Not sure if it matters but the price range of house will be around 290-325K when we sell it so I don't want a ultra cheap window but I don't want to be window poor! I also like the vinylmax shadow groove instead of the polaris weld style that sticks up on the window.
Any thought?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

I still say the UW is the best of the 3 options in both performance and total resale value.

mforce

#8 Post by mforce »

Is it really worth doing triple pane UW or would be just as good with double pane? We want a quiet window since we are on a somewhat busy road at time but don't want to break the bank if a dbl pane will suffice.
I am getting another quote on the UW triple pane to see if its any less money. Also is tempered really needed when the window is 13" off the floor? Thanks for the input!!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

I like triple pane and think that it is less overkill today than it was before. You really should be putting the best window that you can into your home at any given time.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ ... =undefined

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The UW triple pane is a very good choice.
On the tempered glass, yes and no. Per the code, it needs to meet both requirements of falling within less than 18" from the floor, but also be over 9 sq ft of glass.
That said, I have had local building inspectors make me put in tempered glass when smaller than the 9 sq ft, so we don't adhere to that aspect. Anything less than 18" from the floor is tempered regardless. That's just our policy.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

If your going to be in the house short term I'd consider going Thermalweld in dual-pane, the longer you stay the more sense the better options make. The tempered glass can get expensive, especially in a triple pane. There are alot of exceptions in the requirements for tempered glass and I use them all. I don't feel my customers should have to pay for something not required nor do I like losing bids because for unwarranted cost.