Is this a good price?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
williamdford

Is this a good price?

#1 Post by williamdford »

Hello everyone,

I need some help determining if a quote I received for impact sliding glass doors is a reasonable (since I have never shopped for this product before). I am going to get multiple quotes, but this is the first one I have received. I'll post additional quotes as I receive them.

2 (quantity) PGT 770 Impact Sliding Glass Doors 9/16" Lami gray glass (95 by 81)
2 (quantity) PGT 770 Impact Sliding Glass Doors 9/16" Lami gray glass (72 by 81)

Project total including permit fees is $12,200 fully installed. This is from a local, mid to large size company that has been around for 45+ years. Reviews are very good.

Thank you!

- Will

HomeSealed

Re: Is this a good price?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Not a product that I deal with around here, but for 4 impact rated door, with two being 8 footers I'd say that sounds to be within the normal range... Could be low for all I know, but definitely not crazy high

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Impact glass is supremely expensive and you have quite a bit of it there.

williamdford

#4 Post by williamdford »

Update:

The original quote has been revised to 11,200.

My second quote from another company is for $10,200.

Prices keep getting lower, which is nice on the wallet.

- Will

JTK0932

#5 Post by JTK0932 »

williamdford wrote:Hello everyone,

I need some help determining if a quote I received for impact sliding glass doors is a reasonable (since I have never shopped for this product before). I am going to get multiple quotes, but this is the first one I have received. I'll post additional quotes as I receive them.

2 (quantity) PGT 770 Impact Sliding Glass Doors 9/16" Lami gray glass (95 by 81)
2 (quantity) PGT 770 Impact Sliding Glass Doors 9/16" Lami gray glass (72 by 81)

Project total including permit fees is $12,200 fully installed. This is from a local, mid to large size company that has been around for 45+ years. Reviews are very good.

Thank you!

- Will

When asking if you're getting a good price on a window/door always include the framing material. As mentioned that is a lot of tempered glass which comes at a very high cost.

You can safely assume the cost of the glass is a large % of the price whereas that is not the case with a standard sized window. If you're getting a price down around $10,000 that may be good for the wallet for now....

Keep in mind these are huge openings. Roughly equivalent to the size of 13-15 windows and the price should reflect that. That means they are huge areas of inefficiency if they should fail again. Also remember that if they're expensive to replace now they're only going to cost more if you have to do it later.

These are large spans of temp glass which will put a lot more stress on the frames, with doors you want to rule out the low end materials right away because you will do them again.

If you're looking at $12,500 for aluminum or vinyl I would recommend seeking out a couple bids on clad or composite doors. The price will be higher but if you plan to stay in the home they are going to last much longer and perform better.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

" a good price " is hard to quantify as there are many variables such as product quality, scope of installation, company overhead, region you are in , ect...

The best price is a high quality product that is properly installed.

uncle eddie

#7 Post by uncle eddie »

Price is good. Like masters said, lowest doesn't = best

TLHWINDOW

#8 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Don't know how this is going, and if you have had the contract signed or not, but I will put my 2cents in for future reference.

770 series is an Aluminum frame series. I will assume that this is a laminated, but not insulated unit? I base this off the price.

If so, then you should be between the 11k - 15k mark. Be careful going much cheaper as they will be shaving installation money off of the price.

Also, timing is critical as I write this. New Energy Codes in FL go into affect and all building departments will read into them differently, but the 3 around me say: "Pull the permit by June 29th or all glass in doors and windows will have to meet the new codes and aluminum may not cut it anymore".

Good luck.