Bewildering array of casement replacements - Ohio

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
askinoh

Bewildering array of casement replacements - Ohio

#1 Post by askinoh »

Hi. This forum has been very helpful to me as I have recently researched replacement windows for my house in central Ohio. I know there are many posts comparing the large national brands of windows, but a lot of those discussions are many years old now. I was wondering if professionals' opinions have changed at all in recent years. If you have any thoughts on my particular situation, I would really appreciate it.

Our home was built in 1989 and has the original Norco wood aluminum clad casement windows. (We have been in the house since 2010.) Some of the windows are failing--rotted wood in the sash, broken seals, etc. Our homeowners association has strict guidelines for replacement windows. They require full-frame replacements and rarely approve vinyl windows. The requirements indicate that the windows must be the same style, color and material as the existing windows in the home (which also probably eliminates vinyl).

For now, we are looking at replacing 18 windows. Here are more details: The windows most needing replacement are in a sunroom on the first floor and a similarly configured sitting room on the second floor above the sunroom. On each level, there are three openings--one each facing north, south and west. Each opening has two casements on the sides with a fixed window between. So, that's a total of 18 windows--12 casements and six fixed. The openings on the ground floor are about 84" wide by 69" tall, and the openings on the second floor are about 84"x57".

So, with those considerations in mind, we asked for estimates from local reps for Loewen, Marvin, Andersen, and Pella. Generally, all requests for estimates were for the following: full-frame replacements, folding cranks for the casements, double-pane LoE2-272 glass, removable muntins/grids, and standard screens. But each contractor has a different opinions about what needs to be replaced. For example, some of the reps suggested (and included) replacing the cedar exterior trim and replacing/restaining (medium walnut) the interior trim. Others said that the interior wood trim can be taken off and put back on without damage. Others said that tempered glass was required for certain windows.

I think the west- and south-facing windows take a beating from the wind and rain, which is why these have failed first. That is why I am still a little concerned about wood windows, even with the aluminum cladding. It is why also we looked into fiberglass and the harder wood in the Loewen.

Here are the estimates:

1. Loewen:
a. Standard size: $19,000
b. Custom size: $23,000
When looking at the cross-sections in the showrooms, I was most impressed with the amount of wood and the thickness of the extruded aluminum in the Loewen (and the fact that it has the harder Douglas Fir as opposed to pine). But they cannot fit our openings with the same size as our current windows using their standard-size windows. If we use standard sizes, then the side windows in each opening would have to be smaller than the larger center window. To match our current configuration, we have to use custom-size windows. My wife doesn't think she wants to change the sizes like that. And the costs go up from there. We might have to use one of their Architectural colors for the exterior color, and we might use oil-rubbed bronze for the hardware. All of those upgrades cost more.

2. Marvin:
a. Integrity Wood-Ultrex: $17,600 (wood staining extra)
b. Infinity with EverWood interior: $22,000 (due to non-standard sizes; EverWood staining extra)
c. Ultimate, dealer 1: $21,000 (includes replacing exterior trim and interior trim. Staining for grid, sash, and interior trim would be extra.)
d. Ultimate, dealer 2: $22,000 (does not include replacing interior or exterior trim, but they will attach replacement exterior cedar boards if we provide them). This quote includes staining (to match our other medium-walnut trim) the sashes and grids.

3. Andersen E-Series/Eagle: I am still waiting on the estimate. They might be eliminated from consideration simply because they are taking a very long time (11 days so far) to get me an estimate. In a follow-up call a few days ago, the rep. said that it would be sent the next day.

4. Pella
a. Pro-Line Series: $20,800
b. Architectural Series: $23,500

Aesthetics is perhaps the most important criterion for my wife. She really prefers the look of wood windows and therefore leans strongly toward those options.. Performance and value are important to me. So, I have been looking at U values, SHGC, etc., but it's been hard to compare and to discern the importance of all the differences. For example, some of the Loewens quoted for us have a higher (worse) U-factor and SHGC than the Marvin Ultimate, but better visible transmittance.

If money were no object, I would probably lean toward the Loewen. If choosing based on value proposition, the Wood-Ultrex Integrity seems like a good option, but my wife really leans toward a clad wood window and is most interested in the Marvin Ultimate. My wife is also rightly concerned that the Loewen dealer is a 1-man operation. He seems knowledgeable and reliable, but we do wonder about service and support years down the road, whereas the other brands mentioned above have a major presence in this area.

Do you have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions about the options described above?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Bewildering array of casement replacements - Ohio

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Loewen, Marvin Integrity and Ultimate, and Eagle quotes are probably worthy of consideration.

Not sure I would lump the Pella in with that group of windows to be honest.

askinoh

#3 Post by askinoh »

Windows on Washington wrote:The Loewen, Marvin Integrity and Ultimate, and Eagle quotes are probably worthy of consideration.

Not sure I would lump the Pella in with that group of windows to be honest.
Thank you. That's good to know. It definitely helps at least to narrow the field.

From the posts several years back, it seemed that most didn't think the Pella compared to the Marvin Ultimate, I just wasn't sure if things had changed since then.

Appreciate the feedback!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would have figured there to be a larger spread between the Integrity and the Ultimate.

askinoh

#5 Post by askinoh »

Windows on Washington wrote:I would have figured there to be a larger spread between the Integrity and the Ultimate.
I had thought that would be the case, too. I was surprised. It made me think about getting another quote on the Integrity, but I think my wife was more impressed in the showroom with the Ultimate. So, I am not sure whether to bother with another Integrity quote unless I can convince her to consider it if the new quote on Integrity were significantly lower.

I hear that the Ultimate is supposed to be quite good, but my main interest in the Integrity was because I thought that the fiberglass exterior might hold up better to the elements in Ohio (cold winters, hot summers, rain, wind, etc.).

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you will be good with either. The Ultimate is a purdy window to be certain.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you are thinking of the Ultimate and are looking at prefinish/stain then I would also look at the AW E series ( Eagle).

askinoh

#8 Post by askinoh »

TheWindowNerd wrote:If you are thinking of the Ultimate and are looking at prefinish/stain then I would also look at the AW E series ( Eagle).
Thank you for the suggestion. I actually tried to get an estimate on the AW E-Series/Eagle (window option 3 on my list) but have not received it yet. The AW dealer (showroom retailer) came to my house and measured 19 days ago. After not receiving the estimate by the date he said, I then called last week and was told I would have the estimate by the next day. I still haven't gotten it. I may need to seek out another dealer for an AW E-Series estimate.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree.