Repairable or need complete replacement?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mochi0172

Repairable or need complete replacement?

#1 Post by mochi0172 »

Hi. We're considering buying a home but there are some rotted wood windows. There are roughly fifty windows in the house and about ten have rot or possible internal damage (wood feels spongy). A contractor quoted U.S. $35K to $45K to do the whole house with double-panes vinyl windows :(. Any chance they can be fixed without changing the whole window and others (stationary) ones around it?
Sorry not sure how to attach image on here.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Repairable or need complete replacement?

#2 Post by masterext »

If the damage is ubiquitous, replacing your windows is a logical decision. From what you are describing, i would tend to say it is.
Doing patch work on a bunch of windows isnt recommended because that could just lead to further damage and futures expenses. Sometimes its cheaper to invest in what may seem like a lot now but in actuality is much cheaper than waiting for more damage to occur.

mochi0172

#3 Post by mochi0172 »

THanks for the reply! The house was built in 1999 so it's really not that old. Contractor said could be a sealing issue.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Interesting, 1999 with rotted wood windows. Where is it located?
Two approaches that I would consider:
Full tear out right down to the studs...This removes all the rot and allows you to maximize the visible glass area.
The second option would be insert windows... once the wood is capped and sealed the rot will stop.
Both the above assume a high performance vinyl: < .05 AI, .26 U, lifetime warranty.

mochi0172

#5 Post by mochi0172 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Interesting, 1999 with rotted wood windows. Where is it located?
Two approaches that I would consider:
Full tear out right down to the studs...This removes all the rot and allows you to maximize the visible glass area.
The second option would be insert windows... once the wood is capped and sealed the rot will stop.
Both the above assume a high performance vinyl: < .05 AI, .26 U, lifetime warranty.
Located in Minnesota

I posted in another forum with some pictures:
houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19320

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

viewed picture.
Looks like the lower rail of a casement window.
Don't know if it is the rot or if the paint was missing.
Are the exteriors clad?
If the mfg is in business you can probably buy new sash, that is if the frames are OK.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

From the picture, thats a rotted casement sash. You can replace the windows, it would make no sense in trying to repair the sash. Those wood casements absorb moisture like a sponge. I would never recommend wood casements again. Also, they dry rot and they dont crank in because they warp. High end vinyl is the best bet for casements in my opinion.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have vinyl casement, pella clad wood( 25 years) and AW vinyl wrapped wood( 25 years).
All are in great shape. The vinyl unit has a bad crank, which I have replaced once already.

mochi0172

#9 Post by mochi0172 »

I guess my concern would be I would need to replace all the stationary ones too that are nearby or in the same room (for instance, there are nine pieces of windows framing one wall of the master bed, although only the two that open have rot), not just the rotted ones or else they would look funny and not match :-/

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the exteriors are clad, then replacing just the sash might make sense.
Do you know who the mfg was?

mochi0172

#11 Post by mochi0172 »

TheWindowNerd wrote:If the exteriors are clad, then replacing just the sash might make sense.
Do you know who the mfg was?
I asked the sellers but they don't know. I think there should be a sticker somehwere, no?

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

TheWindowNerd wrote:I have vinyl casement, pella clad wood( 25 years) and AW vinyl wrapped wood( 25 years).
All are in great shape. The vinyl unit has a bad crank, which I have replaced once already.
Wayne, you are a window guy and are well versed in how to properly maintain a window, most home owners are not. I have seen my fair share of both pella and andersen wood casements with exterior cladding rot out. In fact pella had a lawsuit against them because of it if i remember correctly.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, I hate wood rot.
Pella says they took care of it. If so then up your warranty to 20years on the wood rot.
Right now I tell my customers at year 9 to inspect and make a claim if needed.

Some times inbetween the dual panes will be some ID.

mochi0172

#14 Post by mochi0172 »

Sorry, another follow-up question: If replacing windows, does the existing window treatments (blinds, shades) need to be replaced as well?

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you go the full tear out route, there is not guarantee that the window treatments will fit again. How are the window treatments set?

If you go insert, you may be faced with the same issue of fitment on the window treatments.

Unless you can guarantee that the rot is confined to the sash and the sash alone, I would not attempt a selective repair. Worst case scenario is you spend all this money on new sashes and you wind up with a new sash and a frame that is now rotting.