Amerimax or Simonton?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
offroader

Amerimax or Simonton?

#1 Post by offroader »

Greetings
We need to have 14 windows and some window trim replaced. The windows being replaced are 30 year old aluminum and are totally shot, so at this point almost anything is better. We plan to stay at least another 5-10 years. Location is central Colorado @ 6700 ft elevation
We've looked at 4 installers and 6 brands of windows and have narrowed it down to either the Amerimax (Master Grande I believe) for $8965 or Simonton Reflections 5500 for $7115. Both prices include the needed trim work and are similarly equipped with grids, low e glass etc . We briefly looked and the Sunrise, but seriously the price was a bit more than I was willing to spend (unless someone can give me a compelling reason)
It appears that both window brands have relatively similar numbers and the installers are both highly recommended by friends, BBB and Angies List so I am comfortable with either.
So the question is Are the Amerimax windows worth the extra $1850?
TIA

toddinmn

Re: Amerimax or Simonton?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I'd go Simonton and upgrade to sash reinforcement maybe superdpacer if reasonable.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

For you the Simonton is the best choice.
If it is not included do the superspacer upgrade.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

Here's another vote for Simonton with the upgrades mentioned. Sash reinforcement (for the double hungs and sliders) is typically less than $20.00 per window and always a good investment IMO.

offroader

#5 Post by offroader »

Thanks all! That was my first thought as well:why spend more than you have to?
The superspacer I have a fairly good idea of and why it's recommended which I think is included but I'm not sure what the 'sash reinforcement' is, so if someone would be so kind as to enlighten me please do.
TIA

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sash reinforcement is extra support inside the vinyl extrusion of typically the CMR( center meeting rail).

offroader

#7 Post by offroader »

TheWindowNerd wrote:Sash reinforcement is extra support inside the vinyl extrusion of typically the CMR( center meeting rail).
Thanks! I'll ask my installer about it. I know there is an interlock rail on the exterior where the two sashes meet, but don't know anything about the internal aspect.
Looks like it'll be the Simonton and save the few bucks: I'm sure the wife will think of something that needs done around here to spend it on....
Thanks again everyone: It's nice to know that my initial thoughts on which way to go have been validated.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds good. Keep us posted and we love before and after picture updates.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

most sash are interlocking.
On windows that are wet glazed with silicone or similar there is not as much need for sash reinforcement.

Penaddict

#10 Post by Penaddict »

I too am in Colorado and am having a hard time finding an installer for Simonton windows. I had one installed one in our bedroom years ago and used a contractor referred by the window supply company. This is going to be a bigger job (eight windows).
Any chance the poster can share the company he/she used? Or recommendations?
I rather use a company that is familiar with this brand than have them custom order and their installers not normally install this brand.
Thanks.