Soft-Lite's Pro

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Alan VR

Soft-Lite's Pro

#1 Post by Alan VR »

This is a great forum and I thank all in advance for your help.

I have been at this awhile (my window search) ..... looking for a good mid-range window. Could be convinced to pay a bit more for the right window. Would be double pane ......all white. Grids over clear lower sash.

I like Soft-Lite .......my question ....has the Pro window been updated over the years? Is the imperial LS that much better? Would a Pro install for $400-$500 a window? ( I have 20 DH windows to replace)

Looking for price range for both the Soft-Lite Pro and the Imperial LS .......

AVR

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite's Pro

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What the LS is worth over the Pro depends on what they are going to charge you for it.

Is the LS better, without a doubt. Is the Pro a bad window, far from it.

Alan VR

#3 Post by Alan VR »

W on W Thank you for your reply ...... I have a quote for double pane Soft -Lite Pros for $770.00 Installed ....... that seems like a high number ....... any thoughts or comments?

AVR

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Seems high without knowing the details, may seem low with knowing them. Get the details and get some more bids.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Gotta know a bit more about the project.

Where is the home, what type of install, glass options, colors, etc.

Alan VR

#6 Post by Alan VR »

Hi to Windows on Washington and Toddinmn,

I really appreciate your willingness to help me with my windows project. The house is a custom built cape from 1948. It is in the Boston area and the structure is very solid. No rot and everything is square. Ideally, I would like to go with the replacement Soft-Lite Imperial double pane with super spacer - all white with grids only in the top sash.

I would love to have a price range from you guys ....... to keep everyone honest .....certainly know that people want to make a profit ....and I am OK with that. I have been in biz. myself .....but some of the outrageous quotes have just left me cold.

Total of 20 double hung windows.

Any thoughts or price ranges for this type of window?

AVR

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Alan,

The price of goods (windows), labor, consumables, and legal/cost of doing business, can vary quite appreciably from market to market.

The best thing you can do is have all of your questions sorted out and should you want another quote on a given product, get a competitive bid on the same specifications by another reputable contractor.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.
In my experience, the price given is within the normal range of reason, although I'd think that you may be able to get a superior window for the price. As WoW stated above, the Pro is far from bad, but it is more of a "better" level choice than "best"... As WoW stated, the only way to know for sure would be to get a few quotes.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

These are going to be inserts or full frames? The grids are between the glass or SDL's? Are there RRP charges included? Is the exterior going to include capping? What is the tear out like?
These are just a few basic questions to get things started?

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:These are going to be inserts or full frames? The grids are between the glass or SDL's? Are there RRP charges included? Is the exterior going to include capping? What is the tear out like?
These are just a few basic questions to get things started?
Can you get SDL's on the Pro? ...don't think I've seen that before.