Triple Pane too heavy casement Vinyl (Soft-Lite Imperial LS?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
opfd232

Triple Pane too heavy casement Vinyl (Soft-Lite Imperial LS?

#1 Post by opfd232 »

I am preparing to order 10 windows for a west facing house in Kansas with NO shade whatsoever. These will be Krypton filled with a non-metal spacer. I am concerned about the weight for the casements and the size needed for the frames to make them work smoothly. For my previous home, I purchased Soft-lite Imperial LS Double Hungs with the triple glaze and they were very heavy to tilt-in. My only other experience was with double pane Imperial LS casements, but those seemed fine. I don't want the sag I have read about. Anyone out there have experience with the triple pane casements? Thanks for your input

Windows on Washington

Re: Triple Pane too heavy casement Vinyl (Soft-Lite Imperial LS?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If it approaches the point where operation or mechanisms will become compromised, most manufacturers will not make it.

SL is a solid company and I can't imagine their engineers letting something go out of the factory floor that won't work right from the start.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Great advice above.
Casements can have sagging issues over time depending on the size, weight, how long they are left open, etc. That said, the more reputable manufacturers won't put out a product that is a problem waiting to happen. Today's casements also have cam adjusters to bring that sash back into square if necessary down the road.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

I've seen the soft lite casement and its extremely solid. The extra weight of triple pane will not be an issue , plus triple pane doesnt add that much weight to begin with. The added weight seems to be greatly exaggerated although a cheaply designed window will have issues with triple pane.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Size is a factor, so as mentioned the mfg has limits.
The install is vey important. The window needs to be perfectly square or even set slightly to high and account for some sag.

TheWindowNerd

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Any Triple Glazed Casement Window has to be tested like the other models. When testing they have to provide the largest window they would manufacture. Usually 48" wide. Some manufacturers won't make something that big just because it could fail. In most cases they have all this under control or they will deny your order. Most manufacturers have updated stronger hardware to operate under the extra load. Plus the better manufacturers will have the cam adjusters as Homesealed pointed out earlier. These adjust and give you the ability to correct a sagging sash. It's all about the installation on these windows. I nail every hole on a nail fin with any larger or heavy type casement. Plus I always over adjust the top reveal larger allowing for some sag. I do the same thing on heavy doors. I make the reveal wider at the top than at the bottom. I also make sure the cam adjusters are set in as far as possible to allow for maximum adjustment. On the heavier units I always pull a screw out of the upper hinge side hardware and apply a longer anchoring screw to hold the window tight. You need to make sure you shim and screw these windows down per Manufacturers Guidelines. Don't order anything dark in color!! Stay light colored. Otherwise the sun will cause you constant problems heating that window up big time!
Good Luck!!!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Somebody is up early. What...no ice fishing yet Guy?

:lol:

Guy

#8 Post by Guy »

Don't bring that cold stuff yet my friend! We still our Fall season and Hunting season to come first. These next two months are why us Minnesotans stay here. The most beautiful and fun time of the year. Also the busiest for us installers. The procrastinators all come running. Hope life is well my friend!

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

Max size for most is 36''. I have not had problems with dark colors yet, but time will tell. I also like to remove a screw in the crank st at the bottom, a little more secure and it stabilizes movement when operating the crank.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Hey...one Minnesotan in the thread at a time.

Either Guy or Todd is going to have to leave. :lol: :lol:

Guy

#11 Post by Guy »

Mine doesn't look like that Eric! Hmmmmm

Oberon

#12 Post by Oberon »

What about those of us who were raised Minnesotan, but ended up on the "other side of the river" in cheesehead-land?

:shock:

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

You folks are nuts too!

Guy

#14 Post by Guy »

Hey Oberon! Long time my friend. Hope life is treating you well

Oberon

#15 Post by Oberon »

Windows on Washington wrote:You folks are nuts too!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

sometimes I wonder that myself!

I have lived in Hawaii, Florida, Bermuda, and California, (among other places) and when its below zero and the wind is blowing I ask myself, "what the %$#@ am I doing here???"

But like Guy said, the fall months (or weeks some years) make up for a lot of bad weather. And most winters are easy to take, just a little long sometimes.
Last edited by Oberon on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.