Installing Replacement Windows in a Brick House

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
PB1971

Installing Replacement Windows in a Brick House

#1 Post by PB1971 »

Hello all,

Just stumbled across this discussion board while trying to find some answers regarding the removal and replacement of the existing casement windows in our mid 1940's home in the mid-west. I have a lot of construction background, just nothing in the realm of window installation / replacement. The home has a stone exterior with brick around all the windows. What I am searching for here is:

1) Any tips and tricks to removing and reinstalling new windows.

2) I had a replacement window company come in a they were talking just cutting the mullions out and what I would assume is use the existing frames, however, these windows are around 70 years old and the frames have already been aluminum wrapped and I am not sure of the condition of the frames (plus would like to install completely new windows). Can I pull off the trim, what appears to bet the extension jamb, stops, what appears to be a piece of trim on the mullion (stopping right at the stool), remove the windows, use a reciprocating saw to cut nails holding the windows in, and remove them? Or can someone tell me how these windows might be held in place?

3) Is it possible to remove the old windows down to the framing and then install "replacement" windows which will fit directly in the masonry opening? I understand they make windows in just about any size, so it's not about finding the correct size, I am trying to eliminate the need to frame out the opening giving us a smaller window and then having to install brick mould thus increasing the maintenance (ie. painting or wrapping it in aluminum).

Hope I have given enough information and make questions make sense. Please let me know what you think or if there is any clarification needed. Thanks!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Installing Replacement Windows in a Brick House

#2 Post by masterext »

If the original frame isnt rotted, i wouldnt bother. Taking the original framing would not be replacement, it would be new co struction. To rip that wood out of the brick would add considerably to the cost.

PB1971

#3 Post by PB1971 »

Masterext,

Thanks for the reply and help. I thought of this after I put my post together, but the way the windows appear (without tearing anything apart yet), the brick seem to stop just behind the edge of the frame. Would this make a difference? After doing some investigation, a few of the frames appear to be in bad shape. I am not saying they are trashed, but would hate to have to tackle this twice! As I stated, I am trying to keep some of the upgrades as maintenance free as possible (as far as having to paint exposed trim etc.). Thanks for the input!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the frames a fine, a capped insert is 100% functional and will preserve the original moldings and spare the wallet as compared to a full tear out.