Window World vs Burris windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
windowweary

Window World vs Burris windows

#1 Post by windowweary »

We are struggling to decide which windows to install in our home the DFW area. We are considering Window World 4000 series windows (company was recommended by a family member) and Burris Tectview AC windows (the guy was recommended by a GC we have been working with). Both LoE 366. The current windows are original (1984) so pretty much anything would be an improvement all around. We are wanting a goodlooking, quality window that functions well and provides efficiency without breaking the bank. I have found it somewhat difficult to get good information online without having to give all my contact information which would then lead to peppering of e-mails and phone calls to solicit more quotes. I have seen some good and bad discussions on here in relation to these choices. Any information provided to help in this important decision would be most appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Window World vs Burris windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Randy.

Nobody knows Texas better than Randy and I think that he is not high on either to be honest. I don't know the Burris product but I am can assure you that you won't find a bunch of positive reviews on the Alside product among the pros on here.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Randy is for sure the one you want to guide you.
Depending on the quantity you may even be able to lure him into doing your project.
His company is who I would want to deal with. Honest, vast product knowledge, experienced,
giving person.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Another vote for Randy. A great person and one heck of a contractor.
Stay away from window world.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

I wouldn't recommend either of those windows.

NT's Energy Master or Presidential series, Sunrise, or Don Young (all of which offer Cardinal's Low-E366) are better choices for DFW.

windowweary

#6 Post by windowweary »

Randy, What would the average price per window be for those alternatives? I realize that could change based on whether choosing double-hung, casement, picture, etc. but would like some general guidance. Had an awful experience with another replacement window company and extremely pushy in-home sales guy. Not really excited about the potential of going through the process again. Do you work in the FloMo area if we do decide to jump back into this process?? :)

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

NT and Don Young are priced similarly to Burris. Sunrise will probably be 20-25% more expensive. Beyond that, I don't like to give pricing estimates as I don't think it's fair to the contractors who are actually looking at the work to be done and who have differing levels of overhead. Once you've gotten a couple of quotes, I would be happy to tell you if the pricing is high enough or low enough to cause red flags though.

I probably won't get back to the DFW area anytime soon, unfortunately.

TC7900

#8 Post by TC7900 »

I don't see anything wrong with the Window World 4000 series window which is Alside Mezzo. You're looking for a nice looking energy efficient window that doesn't break the bank and that window isn't a bad option. You can get a .27 u factor and an air infiltration of .04 isn't too shabby and the window does give you some good glass area. Solid mid range window in my opinion and probably around $350-400 each.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

Tc7900
If you dont see anything wrong with the alside mezzo, i guess you like flimsy windows.

TC7900

#10 Post by TC7900 »

Composite reinforcement and the gatekeeper isn't too bad with a dp40 rating. Seems respectable for what the guy was asking for in my opinion

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Where as Randy deals with the harsh reality of TX on windows I would suggest that others who do not, listen more than they speak.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy

#12 Post by Randy »

While the Mezzo was certainly an improvement over their previous offerings, Alside's service after the sale, in my experience, has been extremely poor. Therefore I would never recommend them.

Reinforcing the sashes is great, but the flimsy frame remains.