Cannot stand the traffic noise...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
komm27

Cannot stand the traffic noise...

#1 Post by komm27 »

I am in the N.Dallas area near DFW airport area and am planning on replacing the bedroom windows in all the rooms upstairs. Moved my kids to their own bedroom and realized how loud their room is. Our house is on a corner lot with that part of the house facing a busy 2 way street. The house is about 6 years old and has standard builder grade windows. We beefed up the insulation on the entire wall facing the street with rockwool insulation as the builder said that would take care of any noise.

I have received a couple of quotes and I understand the person(s) I need to be talking to most on this board considering my location are Randy and Anthony. So here;s hoping you guys read this and help me out. I also understand that the noise could be coming in through the walls. I will either foam insulate the walls or add quietrock drywall as needed.

1) Single hung alum t-break Guardian 70/36-argon-clear with dbl pane Laminate glass
2) Single hung vinyl Burris window dbl pane laminate glass 1/2" thick glass
3) I am also looking into the Milgard Quietline series. But I have not gone to the showroom or received any information on this product.
4) The last area of concern is definitely the quality of install. How do I know which method best suits my purpose - with brick exterior.

I am sure there are more products out there that I have not looked into. I am in no way limiting my choice to the above mentioned products. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I cannot be the only guy having this problem. Thank you guys.

Randy

Re: Cannot stand the traffic noise...

#2 Post by Randy »

First, I wouldn't recommend Burris windows.

Second, I'm not sure you need Milgard's Quietline for the issues you have. Those windows are designed for extreme situations (airports, trains, etc.....) As good solid window with laminated (.060 - .080) glass, coupled with good airtight installation should be sufficient.

For vinyl, you might consider NT's Energy Master or Presidential lines as well as Simonton's 9800 series. For thermally-broken aluminum, Don Young's 5200 series.

If your installer simply caulks the window in without using spray foam around the window, you're likely to get noise migration around the window.

komm27

#3 Post by komm27 »

Thank you Randy for the help. Can you suggest any installers in the N.Dallas area? Do you service this area?

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

You are welcome.

No, unfortunately, I do not serve the DFW anymore. Houston keeps me busier than I can keep up with.

As to a recommendation, I cannot. I'd recommend the Sunrise dealer as they are screened. You might also ask NT for a couple of recommendations.

komm27

#5 Post by komm27 »

I finally have a few quotes from replacement window companies. Can Randy or Window Nerd help me sort through the information and choose the best option please. Have no intention of going through this again for a while. Thank you Randy for your help earlier as well.

Randy

#6 Post by Randy »

I'd be happy to help however I can.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Did you ask those quoting about the install Randy has mentioned?
It is not the norm, though not hard to do, and as Randy said will affect you noise reduction.
theWindowNERD

komm27

#8 Post by komm27 »

Thank you Window Nerd for the response. Are you still servicing the Metroplex? Love to hear from you. Randy said Houston keeps him too busy.

I did ask every single one of them and ALL of them said that there was no need / room to use spray foam and that the caulking they use is ideal. When I asked if they would use it if I bought the product, one of them said they will have to make adjustments in their measurements to accommodate for the foam. Now I am even more confused since installers or sales reps from 4 companies have no clue of spray foam to avoid noise transmission.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am sorry but we are no longer servicing the metroplex.
Randy's install method is to foam the air space between the brick and the sheathing.
This air seals that areas access to the window and also reduces noise transmission.
Not sure Randy wants to share with the world his process. But email him and he may shed more light on it.

komm27

#10 Post by komm27 »

Thank you Window Nerd for getting back and it's unfortunate that both you and Randy stopped servicing the Metroplex. I will ask Randy to share his knowledge on the install but I am unsure how the actual installers will take the feedback.

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

I wouldn't force a contractor who's never used spray foam to start with your house. It could turn into a disaster. While it's not optimal, your best bet is probably going with the basic caulk only installation and making the window as quiet as possible with laminated glass.

komm27

#12 Post by komm27 »

Disaster is the one thing I want to avoid at all costs. Considering how all the installers are reluctant to use spray foam, I am going to ask if they could atleast use the quiet line caulk on the inside.

Thank you again Randy and Window Nerd for all your help.