Narrowed down to two companies- any advice appreciated

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Love2read

Narrowed down to two companies- any advice appreciated

#1 Post by Love2read »

We have narrowed our choices down to two companies and would really appreciate any of you veterans giving us your thoughts. We need 20 double hung windows. We are in the state of Virginia. Here are the ones we have settled on for now:

Choice 1 Very reputable area window company. Nothing but great reviews on BBB and have lists of previous clients to check with

Window is OKNA 500. (2 will be OKNA 800) Estimate= $10,500 or $8900 if paid cash in full
Lifetime transferable warranty

UV .25 SHGC .30

Choice 2: Very reputable window company as well. Great reviews, rated best window company b area magazine.

Their windows are built at their private manufacturing company. These are their features:

use Cardinal LOE2 270 (out of Roanoke)
Grade 50 performance
Continuous head and sill w integral mullion
all welded, sloped sill for water runoff
exterior glazed sash
long reach interlock
metal reinforcement at keeper and lock rails
dual weatherstripping
double wall frame
Glass LowE 270 and Argon gas Standard
foam in head, jamb and sill chambers
reinforced screen grid
reinforced bar across locking horizontal bar

the two window options are:

A: UV .28 SHGC .30 Estimate= $7300

B. UV .25 SHGC .28 Estimate= $8300

Triple lifetime transferable warranty

I think they both look like nice windows, but the only thing that concerns me is the fact that the second company's windows aren't a national brand. If anything were to happen to that company, I assume the window warranty would be worthless. They have been around since 2002 and are booming it seems, but.....I mean we have had our old windows for 30 years and haven't had to worry about a warranty, so is that something to really be concerned with? What do you all think? Thank you so much for your time and thoughts!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Narrowed down to two companies- any advice appreciated

#2 Post by masterext »

The Okna 500 is a steal at that price. Company 2 has an average window at best, i know the company without you even mentioning it.
Go with the okna, its a gift at that price.

Brewster

#3 Post by Brewster »

Agree about okna. What is the name of the other company so we can compare?

Love2read

#4 Post by Love2read »

Could you expand on why you say Company #2 has a window that is average at best? It seems to have similar characteristics of the OKNA in terms of UV and SHGC ratings, uses the same glass manufacturer as the high end Marvin company, employs the stainless steel spacer (like Marvin). I'm not trying to be dispel what you are saying; I would just like to hear more about why you feel that way if you can.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

The nation's best manufacturers focus on doing what they do best; manufacturing. They know that companies who try to do all things, will not do anything exceptionally well. The same is true for just about every other product (shingles, siding, flooring, etc.....) Companies that make their own window, sell their own window, install their own window, and warranty their own window are never great at any one thing. The "jack of all trades, master of none" applies to this situation.

Go with the professional window contractor who has chosen a great window manufacturer and matches it up with top-notch installation.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Choice #2 has a couple things that I'd want to research a little better in regards to their windows (double-hung) features. "Double weatherstripping?" Sounds to me like only 2-point sash weatherstripping and just about every top performer out there in the industry (vinyl) features 3-point. These 3-point contact manufacturers aren't shy about listing their air leaking numbers either.

All of the series of windows that I install feature non-metal meeting rail sash reinforcement. Not a deal breaker, but it is more typical of an older designed window. I'm fine with the Cardinal spacer.

Love2read

#7 Post by Love2read »

Thank all for the replies so far. I will check into the points you mentioned mike. Thanks!

Brewster

#8 Post by Brewster »

They use the same spacer as marvin? Thats really nothing to brag about, marvin are not known for their energy performance.
Also, why wont you tell us the second company so we could examine the window, whats the big secret? Just curious.
I agree about only using duel weather stripping. I also dont like how they stuff cheap metal in their meeting rails, thats extremely conductive. The higher end windows would use a non metal/ composite material for that. The 500 series is strong enough to handle a 40" wide window with no reinforcement.
Hopefully the second company initials arent VL or WW.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Okna window is a solid choice.

While several of the enumerated details of the second window sound nice, there is a way to say things in a technical type of speak that make them sound a bit more fantastical than they really are.

Several of those items fit that descriptor in my mind.

Not so say that option 2 is a solid window, I would just want to see some more technical details on the unit in this case.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

As mentioned on the sister site and as alluded to above, I'd recommend comparing the air leakage ratings as well. I'd also ask the difference between the option a and b from company 2. You stated 270 glass, however then a and b have u factors that are 3 points apart? What is the difference between them? I can't say that I have ever seen 270 glass with a stainless spacer produce a u factor of .25

Love2read

#11 Post by Love2read »

Thank you to all who have shared their time and thoughts with us! I have the numbers for the air leakage for Company #2. They are .15 cfm/ft2 whereas the OKNAs are .02. That seems like a substantial difference. I am leaning toward the aesthetics of the OKNA. I really like the colonial beveled exterior. But, now there is a third horse in the race. I know most of you have not given your applause to Revere Berkshire Elites, but I have been reading some favorable comparisons between it and the OKNAs. One online source says they are virtually identical windows.The NFRC numbers for the UV and SHGE are similar as well. OKNA 500 UV .25 SHGC .30
Berkshire Elites:
BarrierXP ThermD iE 0.27 0.30 0.27 0.30
BarrierXPsc ThermD 0.27 0.21 0.27 0.21

The reason I am adding the Berkshire is bc our neighbor had them installed recently by a contractor we have both used for our homes. Their windows look wonderful and they have been very happy with them. He does very good work and we have been pleased in the past. We haven't gotten a quote yet, but wonder if that is also an option. Thoughts?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

You do realize the berkshire elite is an Alside window ?

Love2read

#13 Post by Love2read »

Yes, I saw that Revere was now sold through the Associated Materials, Inc. company. Why is that a problem?

masterext

#14 Post by masterext »

Doing a bit of research will divulge plenty of alside reviews.

goku

#15 Post by goku »

Can you list what company you are using for Choice #1? I got some OKNA estimates but were higher than yours. We are also in VA.

Thanks,
Love2read wrote:We have narrowed our choices down to two companies and would really appreciate any of you veterans giving us your thoughts. We need 20 double hung windows. We are in the state of Virginia. Here are the ones we have settled on for now:

Choice 1 Very reputable area window company. Nothing but great reviews on BBB and have lists of previous clients to check with

Window is OKNA 500. (2 will be OKNA 800) Estimate= $10,500 or $8900 if paid cash in full
Lifetime transferable warranty

UV .25 SHGC .30

Choice 2: Very reputable window company as well. Great reviews, rated best window company b area magazine.

Their windows are built at their private manufacturing company. These are their features:

use Cardinal LOE2 270 (out of Roanoke)
Grade 50 performance
Continuous head and sill w integral mullion
all welded, sloped sill for water runoff
exterior glazed sash
long reach interlock
metal reinforcement at keeper and lock rails
dual weatherstripping
double wall frame
Glass LowE 270 and Argon gas Standard
foam in head, jamb and sill chambers
reinforced screen grid
reinforced bar across locking horizontal bar

the two window options are:

A: UV .28 SHGC .30 Estimate= $7300

B. UV .25 SHGC .28 Estimate= $8300

Triple lifetime transferable warranty

I think they both look like nice windows, but the only thing that concerns me is the fact that the second company's windows aren't a national brand. If anything were to happen to that company, I assume the window warranty would be worthless. They have been around since 2002 and are booming it seems, but.....I mean we have had our old windows for 30 years and haven't had to worry about a warranty, so is that something to really be concerned with? What do you all think? Thank you so much for your time and thoughts!!