New construction versus replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
soonerexpat

New construction versus replacement

#1 Post by soonerexpat »

I know this has been asked many times here, but the answer seems to be situation-specific, so here we go:

I live in central NJ. We are replacing the siding and exploring options to replace our double-hung wood widows (21 in total; still keeping the wood) on a home built in 1980. One contractor has suggested we put in new-construction windows, since we are taking the siding off anyway. This would increase the cost/labor considerably, and I'm not sure full window replacement is really what we need. We are not dealing with any drafty, leaky, or (as far as we can determine) rotting windows. The interior and exterior "foundation" of all the windows appears to be in great shape, and our siding estimates have included the cost to refurbish all the exterior trim. We only want to get windows with more efficient panes (a few have condensation between the panes, and I'm sure more energy friendly technology exists now than in 1980).

I understand the urge towards full replacement on a 35-year-old house since the siding is coming off anyway ... but if the structure is in good shape and there are no leaks, drafts, or rot, this seems like an unnecessary expense "just because." Is there a more definitive way to determine how well-insulated/flashed the window is currently, or is the fact that we have no drafts/leaks/rot after 30 years enough evidence of a job well done?

New construction or replacement? I need some unbiased expert advice...

Brewster

Re: New construction versus replacement

#2 Post by Brewster »

A good installer can seal/ flash a replacement window just as well as a new construction.
Unless you have a lot of wood rot, you probably dont need it.
New construction means all the ineterior trim getting ripped out as well as anything on the exterior and yes, it is quite expensive.
What kind of outside window trim do you currently have?

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

If it was my house I'd go full frame. With the siding being redone and the vintage of house would be deciding factors. What is the cost difference?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

If you are doing siding, you are most of the way there to a good full tear out. Go with a new construction (flange equip) window and get the open flashed properly.

If the siding wasn't part of the original workscope, a properly installed insert is just as effective. Some contractors will really push hard on the full tear out option to sell other work. If the siding needs to be replaced, that doing both at the same time makes sense.

If you haven't reached out to a poster on here by the name of masterext, he services NJ and is highly regarded. I have sent my customers to him and he has done great work.

You can click on his name here in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5895

Brewster

#5 Post by Brewster »

Agree with windows on washington. A properly installed insert/ reaplacement window is just as effective. If you are doing siding and do want new construction, its a great idea to do it now before you do the siding obviously. As we all said, new construction adds a lot to the cost and allthough ts nice to get, you may not really need it, especially if the installer is very good in which case the replacement will still seal everything very well.
Remember, everything on the interior gets ripped out.
Some contractors really push new construction even when its not necessary in order to make some more money; its like getting two jobs in one.

soonerexpat

#6 Post by soonerexpat »

All very helpful. We are first time homeowners, so this is all new info to us. We just assumed that 35-year-old windows could not possibly be as energy efficient as ones available today and should be replaced. But these are double-pane windows that are not causing us any problems with drafts/leaks/rot (except for the ones in which the seal has failed; those we will replace). Even the interior frames don't feel cold to the touch in the winter. My gut tells me this is a very pricey job without a pressing need.

So we are leaning away from full-frame replacement, even though now would be the time since the siding is coming off, and since we do plan to stay in the home indefinitely. In fact, at this point I'm wondering if we really need to replace the windows at all right now. My sense is that a well-functioning, well-installed double-pane window (even a 35-year old one) would be hard to improve upon.

Am I totally off base? And any thoughts on putting a low-e window film on double-pane glass?

(Our outside trim is wood but again, it's in great condition; just needs a coat of paint, to my untrained eye. In any case, we are replacing the siding and likely the trim with Boral TruExterior.)

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure I would agree with the technology and efficiency comparison. There have been quite a few leaps and bounds in the last 35 years when it comes to windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Exactly, no way will your original windows be anywhere as efficient and air tight as a newer window, provided its a quality window.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

One often missed long term benefit of full frame replacement types of installations verses an insert/retrofit method with exterior sill and trim board/brickmould capping would be the fact that the larger new construction window would be more maintenance free in terms of washing of the exterior.

With the retrofit project the exterior capping and caulking will be harder to clean. I'd wager to bet than less than .001% of homeowners ever clean their exterior capping and caulking short of power washer once in a blue moon.

soonerexpat

#10 Post by soonerexpat »

Thanks for the feedback. This would be an easy decision if the windows were in really terrible shape, but they're not. They're just old. Functional and repairable (and wood!), but old. If we weren't doing the siding right now, we wouldn't even consider replacing them. And I sense that the original installation was done properly, so of course I struggle with disassembling something that ain't broke and crossing my fingers that the re-assembly is just as good.

That said, I appreciate that this is the time to do it, and our budget will allow for it (goodbye, kitchen!!!). I just have a real fear of the "planned obsolescence" built into contemporary products. For every "top of the line" window, I can find thousands of complaints online.

But that's another discussion for another post!

Brewster

#11 Post by Brewster »

Certain high end brands really have no negative complaints anywhere.
I would bet that if i put a heat lamp up to those original windows, you will feel virtually all the heat escaping.
I would also bet that on a cold day, i would feel air infiltration and on a hot day, i would feel heat coming in from the outside.
New windows would virtually eliminate that.

soonerexpat

#12 Post by soonerexpat »

If I'm leaning away from wood and toward vinyl or fiberglass, what would you consider a high end brand?

Brewster

#13 Post by Brewster »

High end vinyl are the best performers, especially when it comes to stopping air infiltration. High end vinyl also lasts a long time and wont warp like cheaper vinyl would. You will also get much better Ufactors on high end vinyl .
High end brands woukd be Okna Windows, Soft Lite, and Sunrise. As for fiberglass, the pella is total garbage and flimsy. Marvin Infinity is nicer but very expensive and lacks in performance, specificially air infiltration. Although fiberglass sounds good, the industry really hasnt introduced a top performer. The higher end vinyl names i listed actually look very nice and are solid.

soonerexpat

#14 Post by soonerexpat »

Fantastic. I feel like I have a much clearer direction (and a more reasonable budget). Thanks to all!!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#15 Post by masterext »

I also agree with the aforementioned vinyl brands.