Replacing 47"Wx77"H picture windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
durph1987

Replacing 47"Wx77"H picture windows

#1 Post by durph1987 »

I need to replace 30+ year old 47"Wx77"H picture windows in Pittsburgh, PA. I would like to replace them with a picture/awning combo. I've been told by a couple estimators that fiberglass and wood windows would be better than vinyl in a large opening like this because they are stronger. Is this true? Should I even get a vinyl window estimate? What vinyl windows would compare to fiberglass or wood for this size opening? (There are 12 of these windows in my livingroom and 3 in my diningroom). Thank you!

HomeSealed

Re: Replacing 47"Wx77"H picture windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

77" height would be extreme for a single unit in any configuration, but not a worry if you are stacking PW and AW's. No truth to there being any concern about using vinyl as a material, however, I would say that it is more important to use a quality product when you are dealing with larger sizes like this. That recommendation applies regardless of the material involved.

durph1987

#3 Post by durph1987 »

Thank you HomeSealed! Then a single PW this large would not be recommended? What are the possible problems? No estimator, so far, has mentioned a single unit might be a problem. They have been giving me estimates for both PW and PW/AW combo to help us save money.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Fewer worries if it is a fixed unit as there are not ad many things that can go wrong.
Some manufacturers will require tempered glass if the size goes over a given threshold such as 72" in one direction, so be advised if that .

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

47 x 77 is similar to a glass size for a 8' patio door.
Some designers in the know would use stock size patio door lites and direct glaze them for large cheap windows. Can still be done today.

theWindowNerd