Who Makes A Good Bow Window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NorthernMaryland

Who Makes A Good Bow Window

#1 Post by NorthernMaryland »

Who makes a good high end bow window using casement windows. I am considering replacing mine with either a 4 or 5 lite casement. My current one is only 4 lites and doesn't protrude very much past the wall line....I am really unsure about how this works and how far out it would have to protrude if I went with a 5 lite bow....Of course I want good numbers on the windows and rigid sturdy construction and weather tightness and problem free casements with the opening mechanisms...... so..... what brands should I consider?

Delaware Mike

Re: Who Makes A Good Bow Window

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sunrise, OKNA, Soft-Lite, ProVia, and Vytex in terms of vinyl manufacturers. I'd stay away from from the vinyl out of blue or orange and brands that use steel spacers with their glazing process. You have the obvious big three names in wood.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with DE Mike.
Two additional thoughts.
If you are near Windows on Washington give thema call.
On the design side: the total projection is made up of several factors, wall thickness, degree, width of unit.
If you change from a 4 lite to a 5 lite you will gain 6" more of framong(or loss 6" of visible glass in the width). A 5 lite does look more like a bow.

theWindowNerd.

NorthernMaryland

#4 Post by NorthernMaryland »

So do Okna and Sunrise use wood on the insides for the seat and top part, and the interior framing between windows lites? Is wood interior the norm, or is vinyl more usual now for low maintenance reasons (although I wonder how nice looking a vinyl seat, top etc. would be).

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

most all bays and bows have veneered plywood for the carcass( head, seat board and side jambs)
some you can option for plastic laminate over those framing members.