Thermal Industries Legance Vs. Sunrise Essentials

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
raformula

Thermal Industries Legance Vs. Sunrise Essentials

#1 Post by raformula »

Hello Everyone,
I am looking to replace my 72X 80 Sliding patio door. I am located in Warminster, PA, the northern suburbs of Philadelphia. I have gotten 2 quotes from different window suppliers and would like your input on the quality of these 2 doors and/or better similarly priced Units.Both Units are only optioned with a "Pet Screen".

1) Thermal Industries Legance series. Brown exterior/white interior. $ 2050 installed.

2) Sunrise Essentials series. Brown exterior/white interior. $2150 installed.

I have read on the board here that the Essentials line is not as attractive as their "standard line due to frame differences". Thanks for your input.

Windows on Washington

Re: Thermal Industries Legance Vs. Sunrise Essentials

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not supremely familiar with option 1, but everything I have seen out of option 2 (i.e. the Essentials line up) is bunk.

Have you called around on some other doors?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Thermal industries/ thermal windows make an average window at best but they do make a very nice sliding patio door. I have absolutely no issue in recommending the Legance door, it is nice.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'd want to check with your Sunrise dealer to see if the door is from their regular line of products, or is the super low end door that they introduced a few years back. None of us Pros think very highly of the Essentials series. The Thermal door is pretty decent and has some real nice features.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

WE used TI for many years for GSD.
We have recommending the the 8800 by Okna/Himark.
Built like a tank and seals out all draft.

raformula

#6 Post by raformula »

Thanks for the feedback.I did ask the Sunrise dealer which line the window is from and he told me they only have one line ?? On their website it only has the Essentials line. I did get quotes from Home Depot (Anderson 200 series) and also Lowes (Pella Pro-Line), I was not impressed by either the Anderson or the Pella. The 2 I have mentioned have better features in my mind.

I have spent the last month of weekends looking around and getting quotes. Was hoping this weekend would be the end of that. I will get 2 more quotes this week, then pull the trigger on one. Thanks for all the input.

Edit:
TWN- I did set up a phone Consult with you for Tuesday at 7 through your website.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sunrise current offers two patio sliding doors. The one associated with the Essentials series is not on par with their main slider. It's a mechanical cornered sash/panel door and mechanical master frame with a sort of composite wood PVC cladded deal. It has limited options which is why the exterior color threw me off. For years Sunrise only offered one door to all of their dealers which is a really nice door.

I've never installed one the lower grade Sunrise doors. The OKNA door, like TWN mentioned is built like a tank and super air tight. We have been installing a lot of them lately and I plan on upgrading my 2003 ProVia slider in my own house with one of the OKNA doors with internal blinds later this year.

You can verify the two doors on the Sunrise website.

raformula

#8 Post by raformula »

Hello Mike,
The slider i looked at in the showroom had a multi-point locking system and a top hung screen door.Also, the standard door handle is either brass or polished nickel. From what I can tell on the Sunrise website, the Essentials has a one point locking system and a regular mount screen. I will double check with the supplier later today. Thanks for all the input.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

That is the nicer Sunrise door that we like. That's a great door and has a very nice brown fiberglass sill, super nice handleset, and multipoint lock system standard. Their top hung screen is very nice. It will however not match the air and thermal performance of the OKNA door, so it you would have to choose between some cosmetic differences verses performance. If you're having the TWN out I know that you will be in the best of hands in regards to installation.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

The okna door is a tank as Mike said. You are in great hands with TWN, he will provide you with a wealth of information plus he is one of the best window contractors I've ever come across.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

The TI door is not half bad, but I'd agree with the other pros that the Sunrise and Okna are two of the nicest doors around. They each have their own strengths as well. The Sunrise is a very smooth operator and has some nice features, while the Okna has a fully welded frame and boasts the superior performance numbers... You are on the right track by talking to the Nerd. Great guy, he will take care of you. :D

NorthernMaryland

#12 Post by NorthernMaryland »

I have two sliding doors from thermal industries that were installed in 1999. They are still in use today and seem to be well made. The vinyl is attractive and easy to clean. Mine has low E with argon gas. They have been very reliable doors for 17 years now. Slide easily and seem to be OK in the energy efficiency dept, but remember they are 17 years old now so I could probably do better if I tried. One of the lites is beginning to show signs now of seal failure and fogging. I can't swear they are Legance because I don't even think they were using that name back then. Just an opinion from an actual owner.....I also have newly installed Okna window that are pretty fantastic so I believe what the pros are saying about the Okna sliding doors.

I am curious what an Okna sliding door of that size would cost.

raformula

#13 Post by raformula »

Just want to thank everyone for their input. Looks like its going to come down to these 3 makes. I just looked at the Okna and that's a nice looking unit also. I can finally see the finish line. Great site by the way. Looking forward to speaking with you TWN.