Alside 8000 Series

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jericho

Alside 8000 Series

#1 Post by jericho »

I am considering the 8000 Series from Alside. They are considered to be the best quality of all the window lines at Alside. However, when I look at the ratings I see that the Air Filtration is around .16 and the DP is around 35. On the Mezzo line however the Air is around .08 and the DP is 50. Why would the higher better quality 8000 line have worse ratings?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Alside 8000 Series

#2 Post by masterext »

The alside mezzo is loaded up with fuzzy pads that are glued to the corners of the sash. If the window wasnt so flimsy, they wouldnt need all those fuzzy pads which invariably fall off by the way. You can take the most air prone window in the world and load it up with unsightly pads and you can acheive a lower air infilatration rating.
None of the top windows that most pro's reccomend employ the use of fuzzy pads.
This is one case where the numbers dont tell the true story in my opinion. The 8000 is a better window.
Last edited by masterext on Fri May 06, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jericho

#3 Post by jericho »

Thanks. So why do you think the Mezzo has a higher DP rating if its such a flimsy frame?

uncle eddie

#4 Post by uncle eddie »

There are exceptions to every rule, and the mexxo is the a rare exception to rule that numbers and quality go together in my opinion. If you physically compare that window to other high end models you can see and feel a distinct difference. How did they achieve a high dp number when until recently they did not even have the courage to put triple pane in it? Who knows. The sash reinforcement is laughable so clearly that is not how. Lipstick was liberally applied to that pig, thats all that I can say. Don't misunderstand, the 8000 is not a great window. Its just built more stoutly than the mezzo. It is probably not promoted as much because it is more expensive to produce than the mezzo, and most alside buyers tend to be low price shoppers in my experience. there is no doubt that with a few modifications the 8000 would get superior numbers if they wanted it to.

jericho

#5 Post by jericho »

Would you say that $6,000 installed for 9 double hungs of the 8000 series is a good deal?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Not out of line for good window depending on options, install circumstances, and regional considerations. That said, you might be able to find a better choice for the money IMO.

jericho

#7 Post by jericho »

If you had the choice for about the same price would you go with a local company with their own proven installers and the Alside 8000. Or go with Champion an hour and a half away with sub-contracted installers?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Personally I think that the 8000 might be a little bit better window. On employee vs subcontractor, it is really a non issue in most cases. The reputation of the company for quality and the way that they stand behind their installations is a bit more important, as is the AMOUNT that the installers are paid. A company that pays top dollar for highly skilled craftsman will be the better choice regardless of how taxes are paid.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

Would you want a highly skilled sub contractor installing your windows or a company employee who is less skilled and paid a lower wage?
As far as " the local guy"; i dont know why so many customers focus on local contractors opposed to a business located maybe an hour away. A good company located an hour away is just as likely to respond to issues as a good local company would. Ive seen countless local guys go out of business because they only work in one area and if things slow down, they shut down. A company with a larger service area is much more likely to withstand the rigors of an economic slowdown.
I've also heard customers claim they want to only hire local contractors in order to help local business but then buy a foreign car and do all their shopping on amazon. Wish i had an answer for that kind of logic.

Location is entirely overrated when it comes to home improvement copmanies. Most companies know their limitations and may only travel within a certain radius in order to protect the integrity of their warranty. For example, i try not to exceed locations that are more than an hour away from me.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree that the hour radius is the most comfortable. We are constantly exceeding that which I think is the blessing and curse of the internet.

theWindowNerd.

WindowsDirectCinci

#11 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

The vinyl extrusion on the 8000 series is over 30% thicker than the vinyl on the Mezzo. The ultra thin vinyl and the lack of reinforcement in the Mezzo will 100% result in bowed sashes/frames. Even the small 20x28 sample windows have a slight bow in the sashes. So just imagine how well everything fits together after 3:4 seasons. The 8000 is definitely the better of the two but in my market the companies that offer that window don't offer a good value imo. Way better options for the money