What is this on the glass

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
blb078

What is this on the glass

#1 Post by blb078 »

I have a new construction home, I noticed the other day a purple-ish pink metallic markings on the window. I tried to rub it off and it appears to be on the inside of the window. It's on two different windows and it looks as if there was a hand print or something so I'm guessing it was when the carpenters installed it. See the attached pics. Looks like maybe they damaged the glass which caused something with the gas in the window? Or does anyone know what this may be? The glass is Low E with argon.

Delaware Mike

Re: What is this on the glass

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

That's what damaged soft coat low-e looks like. You will need replacement insulated glass from the manufacturer. It may have left the factory like that since it's an Atrium product. Atrium doesn't have the best reputation. My best guess would be that one of the factory employees used the never to be touched inside lite of glass as a picnic table and ate his Subway $5 footlong lunch on it when his boss wasn't looking.

blb078

#3 Post by blb078 »

Thanks, it's actually an ellison window but from what I've been told they are the same. I just wanted to know if it was a manufacture issue or if something happened on the install.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

The low-e coating is typically on the inside of the outer lite of glass in a double-glazed configured modern insulated glass unit. Pretty much a fully automated process these days. Something got on that glass prior to the glass being set to the spacer it would appear. I think that the low-e is kind of sputter sprayed onto the float glass. I've not had a chance to tour Cardinal Glass yet but will try to get out there in 2017 to see exactly how that's done.

The manufacturer will be terribly embarrassed by that and will gladly make correct. Sometimes a lite of glass gets placed inside out and then the low-e coating which was never meant to see the elements would be subjected to what your experiencing. However, since you mentioned that you thought it was on the inside I had kind of ruled out the inside-out thing.

blb078

#5 Post by blb078 »

thanks, can this be fixed without taking the entire window out? Only reason I ask, is because the brick work is about to be started and will want to know if I should tell them to wait to do around the windows until this gets resolved.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

No worries, easy fix. They may even just make up new sashes. We encounter a ton of bad glass (not my products) and changing out a complete window isn't always affordable or practical.

blb078

#7 Post by blb078 »

Ok, thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated. Now I just have to make sure the window rep will play ball. Already had one issue with these and he blamed it on the install, so we my carpenters took out the window just to show it wasn't the install. Basically the middle section of the window was bowed in a little and made opening and closing the window extremely hard once you got to the middle section. They are sending new sashes out that are 1/16" smaller. Now sure if that's the proper fix but not sure what else I can do/say to them.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

At least one of the photos shows the upper sash of a single hung. This would typically mean that it will need to be reglazed in the onsite. You may want to ask for new glass stops as this type of product is made less expensive for new construction.

theWindowNerd...

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

No worries. This is 100% a glass issue, black and white, and won't necessitate the entire frame being removed. The supplier should perform this service.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Somebody was finger painting at the factory.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

One thing I'd point out if it is not too late, is that the flashing detail over those windows looks improper. The housewrap should go OVER the nail fin and flashing tape on the top of the openings. If it is tucked under the nail fain and tape which it looks like it may be, that will leak at some point in time when that tape seal fails... That is an outdated and incorrect method.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

There are very few crews out there than marry their projects long term with draft and water free warranties in regards to proper flashing and WRB application. It's not even a hard concept to adhere to. There are at ton of great videos on Youtube.

blb078

#13 Post by blb078 »

HomeSealed wrote:One thing I'd point out if it is not too late, is that the flashing detail over those windows looks improper. The housewrap should go OVER the nail fin and flashing tape on the top of the openings. If it is tucked under the nail fain and tape which it looks like it may be, that will leak at some point in time when that tape seal fails... That is an outdated and incorrect method.
the wrap it over the fin and tape, that pic just shows a corner where it's not all pulled down/finsihed yet. We've had some issues with a few windows that had to come out and put back in but the ones where there hasn't been any issues the wrap is over the top of the tape and fin.

this brings me to another question though, on the bottom of the windows the tape is folded under the window and onto the sil, why is done? I thought it was odd so i went to a bunch of new construction homes around here and it's all done the same way. Is this to let water come out the bottom if it gets behind there or something?

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

Yup, that's how they want it done. I drainage path. Assuming water will most likely get at some point due to what we window pros see done such as: bad framing, bad sheathing, improperly sized rough openings or windows, low grad windows with pocket sills and breaches in the frames, no back sealing of the flanges, low-grade or none at all window flashing tape, improper application of the flashing tape, no drip caps, bad stuff above the window going on, and most common THE FACTOR OF HUMAN ERROR AND UNTRAINED AND UNQUALIFIED PEOPLE INSTALLING THE WINDOWS.

If an ace mechanic had a rough opening in front of him he could seal that bottom flange and foam the entire space around the new window, install the flashing tape, hang the siding and that thing would never take on water to have a need for it to drain out.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Exactly right as DM explained... Glad to hear that it is done properly to start!