OKNA 500 vs 800 Sash Lift

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
w5indown

OKNA 500 vs 800 Sash Lift

#1 Post by w5indown »

We are trying to decide between OKNA's 500 and 800 series windows. Our windowsills are 2.5" deep. If we go with the 800 series with a center handle style sash lift, will an electric candle be able to sit in the center of the windowsill without the handle impeding it? Wish we could combine the integrated rail of the 500 with the optional hardware of the 800. :/ Thanks.

Delaware Mike

Re: OKNA 500 vs 800 Sash Lift

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

You will be fine with the 800 in regards to the distance the actual metal lift handle sits proud of the sill face wall. It's all of about 1/8" off the face. The 500 rail may actually stick out more proud than than that of the metal handle? When grabbing the handle to raise the bottom of the sash the candle might be a little in the way, however many folks perform most of the operation of the bottom sash by pushing upwards on the top of the lower sash. I just went through the same scenario with some homeowners that were looking at the 800 series.

What you're referring to as the "sill" is in carpentry terms actually called a "stool." We window guys do know what you mean though as I've never once had a homeowner call their stool anything but a sill, lol.

That was a really good question about the 500 and 800 series. Best of luck.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

w5indown wrote:We are trying to decide between OKNA's 500 and 800 series windows. Our windowsills are 2.5" deep. If we go with the 800 series with a center handle style sash lift, will an electric candle be able to sit in the center of the windowsill without the handle impeding it? Wish we could combine the integrated rail of the 500 with the optional hardware of the 800. :/ Thanks.
I also get this question often with regards to the okna 800. I wouldnt worry about it, there shouldnt be a problem. I would look at the Okna 600 series " EcoPro" which is a step above the okna 500 and on par with the 800. Its super sharp and it definitely wont affect the sill.
Last edited by masterext on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like the handle so much more than a lift rail.

theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

As the others alluded to, the lift rail of the 500 does indeed sit farther proud of the frame than the 800 handle does. That said, as was also mentioned, they are both in the range of 1/8" or so, so I would not foresee any interference with decorations, window treatments, etc... Non-issue.