Replacing Peachtree Casements in CT

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Tuna

Replacing Peachtree Casements in CT

#1 Post by Tuna »

First Off - I would like to thank all of the professional commenters on this site for sharing their advice and expertise. I've done a lot of online research in my days and you guys are the best!

Secondly - Like many others, I find myself a bit overwhelmed by this project and the lack of reliable information out there about it. I built my own house back in the 80's, as well as many other major projects since, and consider myself to be quite proficient but I'm having a difficult time figuring this one out.

With that being said, I'm looking to replace the Peachtree casements that I put in my modified log cabin cape back in 83. They are Peachtree alum clad Ariels, and I say "modified"
because the 1ST floor is a milled log exterior with a non-supporting 2 X 4 insulated and sheetrocked wall interior. The 2ND floor is pretty much standard 2 X 6 truss construction.

Because of the nature of the structure the 1ST floor is very countryish with a lot of woodwork including exposed beam ceilings and wide board oak flooring. If you haven't guessed it by now the window trim, both inside and out is custom, and If At All Possible I don't want to sacrifice it. Surprisingly enough, the Peachtrees are in very good shape, except for a number of blown seals, a few stripped operators, and some cracked and missing weatherstripping. No rot or leaks and all windows function fairly well. I'm even happy with their insulating properties and relative non draftiness.

So my question is (if ANYONE can help me with), can I install a decent quality insert into a Peachtree frame without losing the interior and exterior trim? To me there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the existing window guts from the inside. Does anyone know if it could be done from the outside with the Peachtree casement? If this weren't possible, my second question would be; Does anyone know anything about the company pwdSERVICE.NET? Apparently they still provide Peachtree replacement sashes and parts.

Thank You so much for any advice that you can give me. :)

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing Peachtree Casements in CT

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Post up a picture. In nearly all examples, you can retrofit an insert into a casement opening with some thinking it through coming up with a go around.

Tuna

#3 Post by Tuna »

Will do ASAP if I can figure out how to. Thank you!

Tuna

#4 Post by Tuna »

Hopefully this works. Here are some pics of my windows (83 vintage Peachtree Ariel Alum Clad Casements). Also including a link to the "PDW" site which offers an exploded view of the window. https://www.pwdservice.net/peachtree/pe ... d-hardware.

The exterior milled log wall was rabbited aprox 1/2" deep X 2" wide around all window openings. The windows are attached VIA nail flange in this recess. Exterior 3/4" trim is rabbited and attached over nail flanges. Interior extension jambs attach normally to studs and window frame except verticals are installed on an angle to open up the view. 2ND floor construction is pretty much standard 2 X 6 construction. The Peachtrees came with the crank operators built into the window frames.

I really don't need a detailed explanation of how to do it, since I'm going to be contracting the job out. I just need to know that it can be done, before I start having a bunch of salesmen in here telling me otherwise.

Once again, thank you, I appreciate anything you can do.

Image 1 Image
Image 2 Image
Image 3 Image
Image 4 Image

Tuna

#5 Post by Tuna »

Any Opinions? Please :|

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Missed the picture updates.

Yes. This can be completed as an insert with some light carpentry work.