Replacement Casements with Wood or Sinulated Wood Interiors

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Tuna

Replacement Casements with Wood or Sinulated Wood Interiors

#1 Post by Tuna »

Moving along with my quest for replacement casements for a wood rich home in rural CT. Thank you Eric for your advice on my previous thread. Looking back a few months I found a post here where a number of you chimed in on quality replacements with wood interiors. The brands that were mentioned were Marvin, Kolbe, and Andersen. So I did a little digging and found that Marvin makes 3 models, the Ultimate, Integrity, and Infinity. Andersen makes the 400 Series, E Series, and A Series, and Kolbe makes the Latitude (vinyl) available with a simulated wood interior. I also found that OKNA makes the Enviro-Star with a simulated wood interior and from the pictures I saw it looked pretty nice!

My question is; are there any other casement replacement windows that I should be considering? If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts with me on these and any others I missed, you could probably save me a lot of time. I realize that this is subjective, but just how realistic are the simulated wood vinyls?

Thanks again, Charlie

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Casements with Wood or Sinulated Wood Interiors

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Charlie,

Not sure that the Okna with the interior laminate will be a direct match. You are going to have to check that against your color palette. They also have a Starmark casement that is available with a paintable and stainable interior too.

In terms of your wood options, you listed off some of the really good ones there. Just comes down to what you like at this point.

Tuna

#3 Post by Tuna »

Thanks Eric, Just thought of another question to tack onto this topic. What exactly is a "woodgrain laminate"? How is it applied? Is it just something painted on?

You can probably tell I'm working hard trying to educate myself about this project. It's coming along but there's a lot to digest :cry:

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The woodgrain laminate is a film bonded to the window. Most higher end vinyl products will have this option. They will typically offer 3-7 of those prefinished styles/colors. If none match, Eric's suggestion of an inorganic stainable laminate like that of the Starmark is pretty compelling if you want the higher performance and don't need real wood.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do about 50% clad wood and 50% vinyl.
Both can be great products.
Nothing like the look of real wood interior, nothing like the risk of wood rot.
The Okna or Sunrise laminate wood finish units are great looking low/no maintance optiions.
Depending on your interior finishing requirements I like the AW 400 and E series.
Also take a look at Integrity by Marvin.

theWindowNerd

Tuna

#6 Post by Tuna »

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and insight. I have gone through hundreds of previous threads both here and elsewhere and your commitment is truly remarkable. I have researched many many projects thru the years, but I've never run into so many dedicated and helpful professionals.

Thanks Again, Charlie

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tuna wrote:Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and insight. I have gone through hundreds of previous threads both here and elsewhere and your commitment is truly remarkable. I have researched many many projects thru the years, but I've never run into so many dedicated and helpful professionals.

Thanks Again, Charlie
Charlie,

Thanks for the kind words. I can speak for myself and a few contributors when I say we really appreciate the acknowledgement.

Eric

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It is fun to do. Keeps me up to date and sharp.
I learn a lot from my fellow pros.

theWindowNerd.