Vinyl, Vinyl Everywhere But Nothing Fit to Paint

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jhk49

Vinyl, Vinyl Everywhere But Nothing Fit to Paint

#1 Post by jhk49 »

My wife and I are retiree's living in a house that was built in the late 70's. The house is a dark brown with cedar siding located in south Georgia. The windows are wood with single pane glass. Both the windows and the frames are in good shape. However, to update the house and make it more energy efficient we wanted to purchase/install new windows. Except for the bedrooms, we want to remove the double hung with fixed windows. We never open the windows all year long .... we just look outside through them.

Unfortunately, almost every company I have looked at uses vinyl as their material of choice for the frames. As I want a low maintenance home on the outside, I think that painted vinyl would be a yearly headache in the south Georgia heat. Also, the inside of house in the living/dining/kitchen areas are more conducive to a wood frame versus white vinyl.

I did find an aluminum clad wood window by Pella (450) but the cost was quite high, i.e. $800 for a 36x72. Outside of the Pella (450), does anyone know of another window manufacturer who can provide a competitively priced window with aluminum clading or a wood window that could fit my needs?

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

JHK49

TheWindowNerd

Re: Vinyl, Vinyl Everywhere But Nothing Fit to Paint

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

OKna vinyl will factory paint any color you want. It seems to be durable. In some series you can get a faux finished wood interior or a stain it yourself version.
I would also look at the Integrity by Marvin Wood Ultrex: stainable paintable interior, with great finish fiberglass exterior.

theWindowNerd.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I too would look at the Marvin Integrity. It’s a great looking product and very durable. Pella should be avoided.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

jhk49 wrote:My wife and I are retiree's living in a house that was built in the late 70's. The house is a dark brown with cedar siding located in south Georgia. The windows are wood with single pane glass. Both the windows and the frames are in good shape. However, to update the house and make it more energy efficient we wanted to purchase/install new windows. Except for the bedrooms, we want to remove the double hung with fixed windows. We never open the windows all year long .... we just look outside through them.

Unfortunately, almost every company I have looked at uses vinyl as their material of choice for the frames. As I want a low maintenance home on the outside, I think that painted vinyl would be a yearly headache in the south Georgia heat. Also, the inside of house in the living/dining/kitchen areas are more conducive to a wood frame versus white vinyl.

I did find an aluminum clad wood window by Pella (450) but the cost was quite high, i.e. $800 for a 36x72. Outside of the Pella (450), does anyone know of another window manufacturer who can provide a competitively priced window with aluminum clading or a wood window that could fit my needs?

Thanks in advance for any help that is provided.

JHK49
Products that have painted exteriors with a 10 year exterior finish warranty (majority of them anyway):
-wood clad
-fiberglass
-vinyl

Point is they are all painted. I've not had a single warranty claim on a painted vinyl windows in the well over 10 years that I've sold or installed them. If one of your priorities is a real wood interior then by all means, the products mentioned above are good choices. I'll like the Integrity as a good bang for the buck choice myself. If the exterior painting however is your main concern, I would not disqualify vinyl.

win1

#5 Post by win1 »

Just a note: Check your local building codes but likely you can't replace double hung units with fixed picture windows in a bedroom. By code you need to have at least one Egress (escape route) window in each bedroom.

jhk49

#6 Post by jhk49 »

Thanks for the input .....we did consider that the bedrooms would need a window that could be opened.