CLUELESS about replacements.. PLEASE HELP

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
WinDuhs

CLUELESS about replacements.. PLEASE HELP

#1 Post by WinDuhs »

Looking for someone to just give me a little guidance. I got an estimate on 5 "Soft-Lite" replacement windows. 2 side-by-side double hungs, total measurement is 71x71. The other 2 are side-by-side double hungs, total measurement of 47X71, and 1 small basement slider roughly 12x30. The soft-lite model name is "pro". The estimate I got was $3200 total for all windows, and installation. Is this good? Are "soft-lite" good windows? Please help if you can! Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

Re: CLUELESS about replacements.. PLEASE HELP

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Soft-lite is a good brand. Would prefer you look at LS or Elements.
In general is is hard to tell if the price is fair. I do not have all the product specs nor the scope of work.
On the surface that price seems very low, for 2 twins and one single.

theWindowNerd
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

When you say # 2 side by side windows, i am assuming ( based on the size) that they are twin double hungs. In that case, 2 side by side windows would be a total of 4 windows . Then the other 2 side by sides are another 4. Thats 8 double hungs plus basement window. 3200 is absolutely ridiculous; so cheap i dont know if he will make any money. If all you care about is getting a cheap price then you got it. I would be more concerned with them doing a proper installation and paying more to have it done correctly. That price is laughable.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would stay within the Imperial LS or Elements class of windows if you are looking at Soft-Lite.

Can you clarify the total unit count as masterext referenced?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:I would stay within the Imperial LS or Elements class of windows if you are looking at Soft-Lite.

Can you clarify the total unit count as masterext referenced?
This is good advice re: the product. I'd also agree that clarification on the qty is needed to judge the price. It's not high either way, but I it is actually 9 windows as masterext suggested, the price would be concerning. Is this a reputable company?

WinDuhs

#6 Post by WinDuhs »

SORRY for the confusion guys. As I said, I'm clueless about windows LOL. It's a total of 5 windows. By side-by-side, I meant theres a double hung, trim, and another double hung directly next to it. The same in the bedroom. And the small basement slider is obviously by itself. For a total of 5 windows. The living room windows are about 71 long, and 35 wide each (2 total) The bedroom are about 47 long, and 35 wide (2 total) And the small basement slider. Thanks so much for the quick help guys, I really appreciate it, and want to make sure it's a good price before I jump on it. The installation should be routine if that helps. Thanks again!

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

WinDuhs wrote:SORRY for the confusion guys. As I said, I'm clueless about windows LOL. It's a total of 5 windows. By side-by-side, I meant theres a double hung, trim, and another double hung directly next to it. The same in the bedroom. And the small basement slider is obviously by itself. For a total of 5 windows. The living room windows are about 71 long, and 35 wide each (2 total) The bedroom are about 47 long, and 35 wide (2 total) And the small basement slider. Thanks so much for the quick help guys, I really appreciate it, and want to make sure it's a good price before I jump on it. The installation should be routine if that helps. Thanks again!
If you have 2) banks of 2) windows and then one single for 5 total, that pricing sounds fair, assuming again that this is a quality company that you are dealing with. I'd reiterate that the LS or Elements would be the better choice for product, but you can do worse than a SL pro

WinDuhs

#8 Post by WinDuhs »

Any other insight before I go for it? Total of 4 soft-lite PRO double hungs, and 1 small barrington slider for basement, $3200 for everything, including installation, taxes, haul away etc.. Good price, or shop around more? I could honestly use all the advice I can get. Thanks.

double hung measurements are

2 are 71x35
2 are 47x35
basement slider is around 30long by 12high

WinDuhs

#9 Post by WinDuhs »

^ Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, This is all BRAND new to me. So I came here looking to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, that's all. Yes, I liked the company, the guys seemed honest. But if I know nothing about window prices, how do I know if I'm getting a decent deal or not? I figured a website forum about replacement windows would be a good place to get ideas if prices are fair. It has nothing to do with me "feeling good" about it.

WindowsDirectCinci

#10 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Pricing is tricky to gauge on the internet. There are honestly so many factors to determine the rate and what is fair. Every market is different. The next closest city to me the average window prices are literally $80-$150 more for the same exact product. A lot of times homeowners may leave out details that may seem insignificant but can really alter the price. Color, glass options, tempered glass, sounds like you have some twin units are they cutting out mulls? etc...I would say generally if the company just came showed you the product went over details and gave you an upfront price without the gimmicks. I.e. $500 off for yard sign. Buy one get one free today only etc. the pricing would be in the ballpark. The high pressure gimmicky companies are generally ones you may need to price check. If you don't "feel good" about it. Get another quote

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well said WDC.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Hard to say how good the deal is due to all of the variables involved as described above, however, the price is with the normal range of reason. It would be safe to say that you aren't getting ripped off. If you like the company then do it. If you are uneasy about them get another quote or two

WinDuhs

#13 Post by WinDuhs »

I posted a follow up but it mysteriously disappeared. I ended up going with a different (better reputation) contractor, and for $600 less, $2600 total. Shop around folks!

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

The "better reputation" part is key there. I'd pay $600 more for a better company, but if you got the superior company and a little bit lower price to boot, that's certainly a win-win.