Replacement windows in S.E. Virginia

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
JET4

Replacement windows in S.E. Virginia

#1 Post by JET4 »

I'm looking to replace 34 year old aluminum windows. The big window is leaking. I have a total of 6 windows to replace. The windows now are sliding windows. My wife likes the sliding window and would like to stay with that type. I'm would like middle of the line windows.Does anyone have a recommendation of windows and installers in the Norfolk/ Hampton Roads, Va. area.
1- 82w x 42t with 1- 18" wide slider on each end ( leaking)
1- 46w x 34t window
4- 34w x 34t window

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement windows in S.E. Virginia

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would start with the well regarded windows and look for installers of those windows.

It is not an unbreakable rule, however, general rule of thumb is that:

Quality Window = Quality company

There are so many windows out there that are commodities and cheap, that you lower end companies will opt for the cheapest stuff they can get and make a buck on.

The quality manufacturers do a good job of vetting their partnerships and companies to ensure that the installation and customer experience is reflective of the product that they are making.

Pretty well regarded brands are going to be your Soft-Lite (Elements series), Sunrise, Okna, Kensington Quantum 2 to name a few.

JET4

#3 Post by JET4 »

Thank you for your time to respond to my questions. I will get some quotes and report back with my findings.

JET4

#4 Post by JET4 »

One other question. With the size of the windows I need is a sliding window better or a double hung? I like the looks of a slider better but my wife say now to put in which every one is less expensive.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

When a window is wider than it is tall, it is usually suited to be a slider vs. a double hung.

A double hung will look "squatty" with they are wider than they are tall.

JET4

#6 Post by JET4 »

Thank you, slider it will be.

Randy

#7 Post by Randy »

You can’t do better than Windows on Washington, if he serves your area. Have you checked to see?

JET4

#8 Post by JET4 »

Randy wrote:You can’t do better than Windows on Washington, if he serves your area. Have you checked to see?
I wish he served my area. I wouldn't even get another quote. I'd call him and say put in the windows.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

JET4 wrote:
Randy wrote:You can’t do better than Windows on Washington, if he serves your area. Have you checked to see?
I wish he served my area. I wouldn't even get another quote. I'd call him and say put in the windows.
Thank you. Hopefully soon enough we will be down there.

JET4

#10 Post by JET4 »

Okay, got some prices.
Soft-Lite Pro series- $7270
Okna 800 series- $5070 ( HeatSeal Deluxe package)
Okna 500 seriers- $3890 ( HeatSeal Deluxe Package)
Sunrise- $4500 Ultra- U Plus 12 glass system
The Soft-Lite dealer said they don't sell the Element anymore, but after the price of the Pro I don't think I could afford it anyway. He was one of the buy today and I'll knock $725 dollars off.
The Okna dealer was ok and has good reviews, 4.8 out of 5 stars.
The Sunrise dealer was very nice and has 5 out of 5 stars reviews.The Sunrise has sash reinforcement and polyurethane insulated frames. Okna and Sunrise dealers both have lifetime warranty.It's down too the Okna 800 or the Sunrise. I like the price of the Sunrise better.LOL

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

Easy choice - Okna 800 all the way. It really is the nicest vinyl window in the industry.

JET4

#12 Post by JET4 »

I agree the Okna 800 are nice windows, but are they $570.00 better than the Sunrise ? Just curious, I'm not rich but if if they that much better I'll go with the Okna 800. Thanks

Randy

#13 Post by Randy »

I believe they are - better DP rating, lower AL rating, stronger frames and stiffer sill. Sunrise makes a very nice window, but Okna’s 800 is superior. If your budget allows, its the better choice.

Are you looking at the base Sunrise window, or is it the Vanguard or Restorations series?

JET4

#14 Post by JET4 »

The Sunrise dealer said they have Sunrise make the windows for them and they have a lot of upgrades put in the window. He said it was compatible to the top of the line.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Even if all the bells and whistles are in the Sunrise, it is not the comparable window to the 800. It is the comparable product to the Okna 500 in that case and the Okna 500 still bests it on most of the performance data.

As mentioned, the 800 would be the equivalent of something like the Soft-Lite Elements. In this case, the 800 is that much better to justify a roughly $100 premium between the two.